Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leo\'s Taktika?
Does anyone know of a version of Leo VI's (or whoever wrote it) Taktika / Tactica? I have seen lots of references to it, and one reference to a French translation of the 18th century, but I have not been able to locate a modern version. An English translation would be most useful, but even the existence of a German or modern French version might be of some use. I'm not even sure there is a modern edition of the Greek text. (There may be such a thing, likely published in Greek - which is Greek to me!)
Felix Wang
Greetings,
Quote:Does anyone know of a version of Leo VI's (or whoever wrote it) Taktika / Tactica? I have seen lots of references to it, and one reference to a French translation of the 18th century, but I have not been able to locate a modern version. An English translation would be most useful, but even the existence of a German or modern French version might be of some use. I'm not even sure there is a modern edition of the Greek text. (There may be such a thing, likely published in Greek - which is Greek to me!)
All I have come across is an English translation of the part that deals with sword fighting...the only, I assume, English translation seems to be Sir. John Cheke in 16th century
Sir John Cheke’s Translation of Leo’s Tactica, which is also cited, though finished in 1544 and then dedicated and doubtless presented to Henry VIII, was actually not in print till after King Edward’s death.
which is a line from this...[url:dh7npih3]http://home.pcisys.net/~tbc/sdg/SAW/Homilies_Griffiths/Beginning/Editor2.htm[/url]
Checking further he was Professor of Greek at Cambridge so this may have been a Greek into Latin translation...
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-