Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wrapping \'paper\'
It's time for the saturnalia and I made a few of the Syrian honey-quince cakes described in galen's book on dietetics. Now I'm wondering - the Romans would have transported these over long distances to buy them in small-ish quantities. Long distance transport is no problem in amphorae,. but nobody would buy and amphora full to eat. So at some point someone will get a slice of it. They are sticky, gummy and sweet and not at all a pleasure to touch. My first impulse was to wrap them in paper, but - what would the Romans have done? Papyrus or textiles are most likely out. Too expensive I thought of vine leaves. Can anyone think of other cheap options? Especially when there are no vine leaves around.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Greetings,
I would suspect some Romans would just take it in their bare hands, after dusting with flour to stop it sticking and find a fountain to wash afterwards...or are you meaning to take home with them?
Isn't there any very cheap muslin....like they put cheese in.
You are probably right about the vine leaves, although I think Greeks tended to use them more, like dolmades. They still served curry down in India on leaves, during the last war, I was told by my Father...
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Aristophane in his "IPPEIS" - horsemen mentioned salted tunna (TARICHOS) wrapped in leather. I have also heard about the use of animal mebranes.
Kind regards
Stefanos
You don't mean as in using intestines for sausage casings?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Khairete,
Quote:Aristophane in his "IPPEIS" - horsemen mentioned salted tunna (TARICHOS) wrapped in leather. I have also heard about the use of animal mebranes.
Kind regards
Stefanos
I have also heard about food wrapped in leather ....was thinking about costs in the modern world.... :wink: Smile
Quote: You don't mean as in using intestines for sausage casings?

I would think so...some people used animal bladders (pig I think) for carrying wine and water...can't remember who at the moment.
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Some where I read that initialy sausages were made with animal entrails.
Ans splene stuffed with mince used to be a delicasy so intenstines are valid I guess. Also a soldier has to put up with a lot of unplesant ways for eating and drinking while on campaighn.
As for leather I trust that it might be reusable for some time at least.
Kind regards
Stefanos
Some where I read that initialy sausages were made with animal entrails.
Ans splene stuffed with mince used to be a delicasy so intenstines are valid I guess. Also a soldier has to put up with a lot of unplesant ways for eating and drinking while on campaighn.
As for leather I trust that it might be reusable for some time at least.
Kind regards
Stefanos
How about using tree bark as 'wrapping paper'?
Dont forget that Haggis was a Roman invention!Food and edible wrapper all in one! :o o
Timeo Danaos et Dona ferentes

Andy.(Titus Scapula Clavicularis)
Quote:Dont forget that Haggis was a Roman invention!Food and edible wrapper all in one! :o o
Is this for real about the romans and haggis?? Flavia
Indeed it is!We have a quiz show in UK called QI hosted by Stephen Fry.It was one of the questions that came up recently.Unfortunatly no referance was given.You might do a search on the BBC2 website and send an e mail requesting further info.
Timeo Danaos et Dona ferentes

Andy.(Titus Scapula Clavicularis)