Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refusing orders
Wasn't there a decimation after a mutiny, where the men refused to see some or one of the condemned killed on conscientious grounds? The centurion who pinpointed the man or men was apparently corrupt (quel surpris) and had accused the innocent soldiers or soldier of mutiny. The legate had the centurion condemned instead.

I can't find the reference for the life of me - anyone know it?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
One case of possible disobediance I recall was that at the sack of Syracusae. A Legionarry killed Archimedes against the order of the commander Marcellus. Two versions exist:
1) Archimedis oblivious to all was dealing with a mathematic problem and he tried to resist arrest and the squady whacked him-language problems too!
2) Archimedes put his designs and and gadgets in a box and a potential looter whacked him to get the "treasure".
I think though this is "fog of war". It was not the intention of the troopers to disobay. They failed to identify the "restricted human target" I guess.
Kind regards.
Stefanos

P.S. Jim I feel you are a very moral person in an indifferent world if you dont mind me saying so.
Well, thanks mate :oops:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
On the subject of Archimedes, there are loads of reasons why he might have been killed, but here's one more anyway:
3 - Archimedes was responsible for the deaths of large numbers of Roman soldiers through his machines (WMDs) so was despatched in revenge.

Kate
Kate possibly you have a strong point.
Killing enemies in "hot blood" because of excesive casualties in batlle happens even in our "civilized" times.
Troops still do it even if military laws of various states forbid it.
I will aggee thought with all themebers that stated the "consience objection" in antiquity was entirely different than in our time.
Kind regards
Stefanos