Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd Century Roman Ivory Ring-Buckle Belt Reconstruction
Thanks, guys Smile

Martin, that is oil and cinnobre - paste rubbed in several layers into the leather. Then fixed with olive oil, dried, olive oil, dried etc...
In that sense, the leather is rather painted, not died. Like those fat-based leather paints from the skythian graves in the Altai.
The colour looks smoother oand more homogenous on the pics, as it actually is.

.kremer-pigmente.de/shopint/index.php?cat=0102&product=10620

There is a oil dye for leather on the market which is basically the same, but contains turpentine or something like that as well ( one of those headache-substances). Works pretty well, and seems to be apart from the pigments all from stuff the Romans had access to - I heard. I am not so sure, though. It is easily and quickly applied, and much less annoying than the rubbing. I dyed a scabbrad for a friend with this stuff, and it turned out quite nice. I first tried this out for the belt, and had rings and rims of darker colour everywhere which then faded after a while. Looked nice, but died in the skiving machine. Then I made this one.
The linen thread is dyed by hand with indigo, prepared with alum
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.

Messages In This Thread
More Ivory costs - by Gaius Octavius Drusus - 12-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Re: 3rd Century Roman Ivory Ring-Buckle Belt Reconstruction - by caiusbeerquitius - 02-03-2008, 07:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tekije buckle 1st century AD Marcus Mummius 117 32,730 04-24-2018, 06:41 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  4th Century Roman Belt Color Antoninus05 9 4,806 02-27-2016, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Damien Deryckère
  3rd century Roman soldier reconstruction in Aalen panairjdde 5 3,419 11-13-2015, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser