Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd Century Roman Ivory Ring-Buckle Belt Reconstruction
Just my 2 cents worth...first cent. Awesome work Christian...simple but elegant. Second cent...if you can get away with a substitute material that doesn't require killing an animal for it's bones...go for it lol.

Legion: TBD
Thanks, guys Smile

Martin, that is oil and cinnobre - paste rubbed in several layers into the leather. Then fixed with olive oil, dried, olive oil, dried etc...
In that sense, the leather is rather painted, not died. Like those fat-based leather paints from the skythian graves in the Altai.
The colour looks smoother oand more homogenous on the pics, as it actually is.

.kremer-pigmente.de/shopint/index.php?cat=0102&product=10620

There is a oil dye for leather on the market which is basically the same, but contains turpentine or something like that as well ( one of those headache-substances). Works pretty well, and seems to be apart from the pigments all from stuff the Romans had access to - I heard. I am not so sure, though. It is easily and quickly applied, and much less annoying than the rubbing. I dyed a scabbrad for a friend with this stuff, and it turned out quite nice. I first tried this out for the belt, and had rings and rims of darker colour everywhere which then faded after a while. Looked nice, but died in the skiving machine. Then I made this one.
The linen thread is dyed by hand with indigo, prepared with alum
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
This is the stuff:
www.lederhaus.de/lederzubehoer/lederfarbe.php
If you just use olive oil to fix the colour, you´re half way on th safe side. Apart from the pigments, of course.
Might be an idea to try out to make such a colour. 40-or so % clear alcohol, olive oil, pigments. Should work.
(remember the distellery found on Crete, before you condemn the alcohol... Wink )
Martin, do you know how Junkelmann´s leather stripes on the horsegear in "Reiter wie Statuen aus Erz" was dyed red?
Christian K.

My favorite cavelry impression! Big Grin
Not sure if that is the one to which you refer, but it is definately a spine chilling impression!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yes, that´s the one. The leather straps turned the horseé fur red, when it was sweating.. Smile
Christian K.

Ahhh, who is this guy, Junklemann? I have heard his name mentioned often, but never seem to track his group down.

I have seen another picture with several mounted men in similar amazing gear! Really impressive stuff! Sorry to go off here.

I guess it will come off on humans too then? :roll: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Junkelmann:
www.junkelmann.de/
He´s like the father Roman reenactment in Germany.
Wrote several great books about the Roman Army, Cavalry, Gladiators et al. He´s a military Historian teaching at Munich University, and also does other periods, early modern and such heretic stuff...

Yes the colour goes off. My tunic tends to have thin red stripes from time to time... but it´s washed off easily.[/quote]
Christian K.

All the more authentic tho! Smile

Yes, I remember someone saying this before now. Possibly yourself! :roll: Thanks again, I will try to remember this time.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Christian, can you tell me what skiving is?

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
It´s what I paraphrased as "thinning". Smile
Christian K.

Quote:Christian, can you tell me what skiving is?

Vale,

In a different context, it means 'skipping school classes' or taking a day off work without good cause... etc :wink:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Going back to an earlier question, is hippotamus ivory (which I was offered by a US vendor) legal?
(I would very much be against using something that might endanger a species)

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tekije buckle 1st century AD Marcus Mummius 117 32,308 04-24-2018, 06:41 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  4th Century Roman Belt Color Antoninus05 9 4,771 02-27-2016, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Damien Deryckère
  3rd century Roman soldier reconstruction in Aalen panairjdde 5 3,404 11-13-2015, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser