Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot
Documentary

Revealed: Boudica's Treasures

8:00pm - 9:00pm

Channel Five

VIDEO Plus+: 4433223

Quote:Documentary following a new dig to unearth Boudica's treasures, inspired by the recent discovery of her gold necklace, that also tells the story of how she took on the might of Rome and nearly won
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hi Tarbicus
I know you just reported the text of the documentary.

But did Boudica nearly win? In my opinion she didn't stand a chance!
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Quote:But did Boudica nearly win? In my opinion she didn't stand a chance!
Oh yes she did. For instance, More than one legion could have 'holed up' like the IInd did. If the Celts had decided to finish off any renmains of the IXth, or attack Paulinus before they sacked London, the Romans would have been in dire straits.
Had the Romans been defeated while separated or on the march, any remaining force would have been wise to leave Britain (as I recal the civil authorities did?), for I doubt any 4-legion strong force would have been able to come to the rescue within the space of a year...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Damnit.....
I am going to have to consider reinstalling a television....or a tv card in my computer...and scrape together the cost of a television licence.... :x grrrrrr
Sending a message to my friends, see if they can record it for me.....lol
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:Hi Tarbicus
I know you just reported the text of the documentary.

But did Boudica nearly win? In my opinion she didn't stand a chance!

It's on the TV so it must be true. :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hi Vortigen
do you really think the romans of that time would have let her get away with it? Even had she kicked them out do you really think they would have left britan for good to not return? Briton was a lot easier than germany and it would not have been a general and permanent pull-out. In this sense I don't think she had a real chance.

Of course we know what happened: the romans behaved according to their nature as did the britans. The roman wons! The roman gerenal controlled his troops to the perfection while Boudica did not control her colorful mob. Indeed if one does assume she did control them to some extent, then the more one assumes this so the lower the judgement of her performance drops. Arminius was a genius, Vercingetorix was good. Boudica, after an initialy good start (tool romans by surprise), did little more than let herself and her mob get maneuvered into a roman textbook masterpiece.
Jeffery Wyss
Hi Goffredo,

Oh, you meant would she have stood a chance in the long run.

No, I agree with you, the Romans would probably have returned some day, within a year or maybe two, ten at most.
I think, speculating, that Boudicca might have stayed queen for a fair number of years! The prestige of beating the Romans would have been so immense... Queen of Britain, possibly? Some rival might have her murdered..
But when the Romans returned, that would mean the end of her prestige, and probably her kingdom.

Just speculating. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Goffredo

I wonder why you dont put a bit more weight on the fact that "B" did in fact "surprise" the Romans ?

They managed to conceal sufficient weapons & amass troops (sorry coloful mob) under the noses of their occupiers and pretty much ran amok whilst the Romans ... did what ?

Granted some wrong moves were made and as usual lost the important battle Cry

As for controlling a mob ... these were warriors ( or a proportion were ) not soldiers ..so all in all I think they did quite well.
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Boudicca was good at the start, did an excellent job in suprising the stupid romans, massacred arogant civilians and annihilated incompetently led roman forces. But then stupidity shifted sides, as it often does.
Jeffery Wyss
Quote:Boudicca was good at the start, did an excellent job in suprising the stupid romans, massacred arogant civilians and annihilated incompetently led roman forces. But then stupidity shifted sides, as it often does.

LOL :lol:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  \'Barbarians\' - a review of tonight\'s Tarbicus 4 1,666 06-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  Spartacus Doc Tonight! john m roberts 2 1,253 04-11-2006, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Gaius Decius Aquilius
  The Real Patron Saints - UK TV tonight Tarbicus 2 1,467 12-20-2005, 04:18 AM
Last Post: Thiudareiks Flavius