Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spartacus...
...by Lewis Grassic Gibbon?! I have always been rather fond of his A Scots Quair (there was a rather good BBC Scotland dramatisation of it many years ago) and when my new Birlinn catalogue flopped through the letterbox yesterday, a smaller Polygon catalogue fell out containing the news that this is being (re?)published. I have not read it (indeed, I was not even aware it existed, to my shame...) but I would have thought that it is unlikely to be a bad book, to judge from his other writings (but don't quote me on that ;-), and it is getting good reviews on amazon.co.uk

Lewis Grassic Gibbon, Spartacus, ISBN 1 904598 56 0, published September 2005

I have a sudden and slightly alarming vision of a hillside full of authors, each standing up and proclaiming 'I'm the author of Spartacus'...

Mike Bishop

All of which bodes well for the first venture into fiction publishing by The Armatura Press... but more of that anon... ;-)
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:...by Lewis Grassic Gibbon?! I have always been rather fond of his A Scots Quair (there was a rather good BBC Scotland dramatisation of it many years ago) and when my new Birlinn catalogue flopped through the letterbox yesterday, a smaller Polygon catalogue fell out containing the news that this is being (re?)published. I have not read it (indeed, I was not even aware it existed, to my shame...) but I would have thought that it is unlikely to be a bad book, to judge from his other writings (but don't quote me on that ;-) ) , and it is getting good reviews on amazon.co.uk

Lewis Grassic Gibbon, Spartacus, ISBN 1 904598 56 0, published September 2005

I have a sudden and slightly alarming vision of a hillside full of authors, each standing up and proclaiming 'I'm the author of Spartacus'...

Mike Bishop

All of which bodes well for the first venture into fiction publishing by The Armatura Press... but more of that anon... ;-) )
Does that mean Spartacus was just a literary figure and not real...... :oops: :oops:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Hi Mike,

I think I read somewhere that there have been 27 novelisations/ dramatisations of the Spartacus story. I have been able to track down about 5 (Fast, Koestler, McCollough, Purdue - and I forget the other) I think Maria Wyke's Imperial Projections has most of them listed.

Amazing considering the paltry original sources!

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Quote:... and when my new Birlinn catalogue flopped through the letterbox yesterday...

I've often wondered about getting 'Angels, Fools & Tyrants'. Any good?

Quote:All of which bodes well for the first venture into fiction publishing by The Armatura Press... but more of that anon... ;-) )

Just ordered JRMES latest edition 8)

Ambrosius
"Feel the fire in your bones."