Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Essay on links between Romany peoples and ancient Rome
I'm not saying it's right, but it's an interesting essay anyway; an argument against the Hindi/Aryan origins of the Romany people:
Quote:The heart of their capital is called the "Foro Romano", that in Romany language means exactly "Gypsy Town". Therefore, Roma (whose ethnic name is the same of their original city) descend from ancient Romans.
[url:2b3fcm8o]http://www.imninalu.net/Roma_appendix.htm[/url]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
But? But? the romani language is also of "indo-europen" decent. Though of a early ofshute barnch...
I know. I only posted it as it is an interesting theory and alternative, which I thought should be seen regardless of anything, especially as it is thorough and does question what we traditionally accept to be the facts.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
It's.... uh....

The whole bit about "everyone thought the world was flat until Columbus" is an old chestnut.

I'm not sure what to make of the "unknown origin of the Romans" bit. No serious scholar takes the Trojan origin story at face value. It seems to be part of a later, more-or-less pan-Italian trend to want to fit in with Greek mythology.

The "common elements" between Romans and Romany are tenuous or outright loony:
-"like the rapture of the Sabine women ‒ rapture of the bride is a typical Gypsy custom." And not unknown in other cultures, either.
-"Romans were very superstitious and practised magic and fortune-telling, and preferred the Zoroastric cult of Mithra to their own pagan religion." :roll:
-"They were as well fascinated by Egypt, so that they stole many obelisks that placed in their city, although they were not Egyptians." Does that make the British and Americans Gypsies as well?
-" The heart of their capital is called the "Foro Romano", that in Romany language means exactly 'Gypsy Town'." Is this really a serious argument?
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:" The heart of their capital is called the "Foro Romano", that in Romany language means exactly 'Gypsy Town'." Is this really a serious argument?
No idea, but it's a coincidence. I'm not saying it's right, just that it's a coincidence.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Which is older? Gypsies-> Romania-> Latin?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Well, according to oral tradition of the Gypsies they were there with Abraham, even acting as his protectors, and today pray to Abraham before setting out on a journey. Some believe they are of Israelite origins, and there is a comparison of traditional laws here.

There is also an extensive rebuttal to publications claiming the Romany originated in India from the first website I linked to. It does have some good points I seem to remember.
[url:jh8nu21f]http://www.imninalu.net/Roma.htm[/url]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:There is also an extensive rebuttal to publications claiming the Romany originated in India from the first website I linked to. It does have some good points I seem to remember.
[url:3tg3mjio]http://www.imninalu.net/Roma.htm[/url]

I read a big article in the papaer some time ago about a Dutch Roma expert who went to Sind province in Pakistan and could very well understand the local dialects from what she'd learned by the Dutch Roma.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Fair enough. But one of the main arguments of the original author is that language does not define genetic heritage, and the only way to really work out where the Romany and Gypsies originated is through genetic testing, which to his knowledge has never been done.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Fair enough. But one of the main arguments of the original author is that language does not define genetic heritage, and the only way to really work out where the Romany and Gypsies originated is through genetic testing, which to his knowledge has never been done.

Somebody mentioned genetic testing? 8)

www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s1191889.htm

I think I have some research report lying around here somewhere, but it pretty much says the same as above article.
Andreas Baede
Thanks for the link. That's that sorted then :wink: Laudes awarded.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!