Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fight, damn you!
Come on chaps and chapesses, get off your website and come and DO the stuff. At the First International Ancient Greek Festival we will be doing armed combat as part of our battle displays and Greek boxing, wrestling and Pankration. Also, if you've got gladiatorial kit which is earlier than 168BC, you can come and play with that. So what's holding you back? Why is it that, out of all the people on this site, I've had no-one wanting to have a go? :twisted:
I just have an oportunity to try Greco-Roman Wrestling with real ones, but non of that team dare to try with us our fight TKD, so we dont have a chance, but their teacher give us some practicing of greko-roman, an those exercise of the neck you will need it a lot, & that heavy guy-sand bag! :evil: .... But it was interested.... But no way I would try something like that on the event, you 'll need to be realy on shape....Boxing (Pugilatus), I saw some demos, and uh! Confusedhock: .... that hurt! :lol: .....

I hope some of this guys show up :wink:

Check out on Atletica Pesante on right, click any of Pugilatus & Luctatio,& Battaglia for Battle its so great! Big Grin twisted:
http://www.arsdimicandi.net/ad_1_00005d.htm

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
I would do Pankration but ...naked :oops:
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Quote:I would do Pankration but ...naked :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Funny but accutate!

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
We might have to "cheat" a bit, in order to avoid serious injuries to participants. There's no reason why we can't have contestants in Pankration "cheat" by wearing a loncloth, either. Come on, lads, don't make me do all the work, think about how you can MAKE it happen!
Where are all those women who so passionately beleive in women warriors in every age? Why aren't they coming forward to offer us Spartan wrestling? Come on, girls, put your bodies where your mouths have been!

( Um.. not sure I meant it to sound quite like that.... :oops: )
Quote:
Conal:3baoec1k Wrote:I would do Pankration but ...naked :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Funny but accutate!

Not always Accurate! Dan Howard has posted a link that shows potter with 2 PANKRATIASTAI who wera "perizoma".
http://www.war-god.net/pankration/

As for the naked Athletics I find doubtful that they will be allowed due to the presence of minor and local legislation.

Kind regards
Quote:We might have to "cheat" a bit, in order to avoid serious injuries to participants. There's no reason why we can't have contestants in Pankration "cheat" by wearing a loncloth, either. Come on, lads, don't make me do all the work, think about how you can MAKE it happen!
Where are all those women who so passionately beleive in women warriors in every age? Why aren't they coming forward to offer us Spartan wrestling? Come on, girls, put your bodies where your mouths have been!

Don´t anger the ladies Paul. They might descide to reanact the "roof tile" chapter of history!!! (Pyrros-Thebans -you know what I mean) Smile
Do we have enough shields?
Kind regards
Stefanos :twisted:
I've got enough shields for me, thanks :twisted: Actually, if Syndicate Armoury get their fingers out, I should have some spares.
Thucydides states that, "in the ancient times" athletes wore the perizoma. he says it was the Spartans who started the trend for training and competing naked.
Khairete,
Quote:Where are all those women who so passionately beleive in women warriors in every age? Why aren't they coming forward to offer us Spartan wrestling?
If I didn't have my back and neck troubles, I would probably be an ancient female gladiator too....awful legs or not..... Confusedhock:
In the real ancient world, as Viventia/Viventius put it somewhere, we would probably be gone and buried ( or respected as 'Wise Elders') and I am the elder of the two I think....no...I am not in my 70s-YET although I feel like it at times....!!!!!
My mind is willing, my body isn't .....at the moment anyway Sad
Quote:Come on, girls, put your bodies where your mouths have been!
Sound like what ....what on earth do you mean......? :lol: :lol:
Quote:Don´t anger the ladies Paul. They might descide to reanact the "roof tile" chapter of history!!! (Pyrros-Thebans -you know what I mean)
Do we have enough shields?
If Viventia and I happened to get together .....you would need those shields...a la our defence of Arbeia earlier this year.....hehe
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Blast!! We are not going to evade the rooftiles after all!!!! :lol:
Kind regards
Stefanos
Quote:Blast!! We are not going to evade the rooftiles after all!!!! :lol:
Kind regards
Stefanos
Have you seen Viventia's interests......if she doesn't make it, I will borrow some :lol: :lol:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Did someone mention roof tiles? 8)

What is this Pyrros-Theban episode? Please illuminate! I'm collecting literary/ancient references to brick and tile of all eras (got some nice ones from Dickens & Gaskell). Tiles are a suitable occuption for a lay-dee . Roof tiles got Ben Hur into a great deal of trouble ... :twisted:

Arthes, dear girl, at 74 there's no way I'm doing any athletics. I do enjoy annoying Roman soldiers though - I particularly like dampening their spirits from a great height :wink:
An Argive lady seeing king Pyrros of Ipiros about to skewer her son with his lance during a streetfight in hellenistic Argos whacked him with an accuratly thrown rooftile.
Thespian an Platean women aided their mens fight to throw out Thebans that had sneaked in their cities by throwing rooftiles and flower pots at the Theban phalanx.
You said it right madam rooftiles are appropriate for a Lady!
Women of Phokis are mentioned by Pausanias to fight viciously against the Celts at 279 B.C. as psiloi.
Hope I enlightened you.
Kind regards
Stefanos
Wow! Obviously women and roof tiles are a deadly combination. I'm sure my archaeological colleagues think the same :?

Thank you very much for your reply Stefanos Big Grin I hope you don't mind if it goes onto my blog.
Not at all madam. Feel free to use it.
If you mention the warlike Phokian ladies it might help to change misconseptions about women in ancient Greece.
Kind regards
Stefanos