Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Found: Alec - Fermented Fish Paste (Garum Dregs)
I believe I have found a modern source for the fermented Roman fish paste, alec, or better known as that putrid byproduct of making garum.<br>
<br>
In a local Asian grocery store I found a bottle of an ugly brown paste "mam nem" which was labeled in English "fish sauce" and in French "poisson fermentee" or "fermented fish" This bottle was right next to the "nuoc mam" (note the repeated "mam"), which is the Vietnamese equivalent of garum. Both had only 3 ingredients: anchovies, salt, and water.<br>
<br>
I called a Vietnamese friend of mine who confirmed that she believed it was the leftovers after making nuoc mam (garum)<br>
<br>
I have tried nuoc mam (garum) and like it very much. I was convinced I had found alec, and had to try it.<br>
<br>
I tried it over rice.<br>
<br>
I shall not try it again.<br>
<br>
ps. My friend did tell me that I should have tried cooking with it, rather than eating as a condiment. But I had thought I read the Romans used it as a condiment. So... <p></p><i></i>
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
Nope, the Romans used it as a condiment. It is VERY strong, so a little goes a long way. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine