Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deepeeka "Horn" Helmet? What\'s it worth?
Hey folks,

Interested in buying a Deepeeka Horn Helmet, as they call it. I heard it was probably actually not literally Roman, and that the original find was sized for a child. I'm interested in hearing how much people think I should pay for the helmet. I may want to resell it after padding is added, and I may add a better aventail. The helmet is made using real horn, or so I've heard.

I think I have a source where I can get it for $180. In comparison, By The Sword sells it for $470. What's it worth?

[Image: ah-6313.jpg]

Cheers, and thanks!

-Gregory-

(Image from www.by-the-sword.com )
Gregory J. Liebau
The Bronze Age Center
It's not Roman at all, the original is for a Frankish boy, which means there just might be a larger original, or it might be a toy. I've never ever seen anyone wearing it, and I would not pay more than €70 for it. Why buy this when you can get far better spangenhelms for a bit more money?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hey Valerius,

The main reason I'm interested in the helmet is the fact that you simply do NOT see many people in it, which is the point I suppose... I like different stuff, and especially like it when it's affordable! I can see myself doing a Frankish impression, but would like a semi-accurate date for the find.

Could someone help me with dating it?

Thanks!

-Gregory-
Gregory J. Liebau
The Bronze Age Center
The boy's grave was found in association with a woman's grave. The two graves were likely made at the same time. The woman was about 28years old and might have been the Lombardic princess Wisigarde, who was married to Theudebert I (+ 548AD). Theudebert I was a grandchild of Clovis and the king of Austrasië. Among the very rich grave goods were some coins. The Youngest one was from Athalric (+538AD) and was minted in Ravenna. Based on al the different clues, the graves are dated somewhere between 538AD and 550AD.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:Hey Valerius,
The main reason I'm interested in the helmet is the fact that you simply do NOT see many people in it, which is the point I suppose... I like different stuff, and especially like it when it's affordable! I can see myself doing a Frankish impression, but would like a semi-accurate date for the find.
Oh, well, no argument there.
All I'm saying is you can look different, but with accurate stuff. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hi,Gregory. From my experience researching helmets from different sellers(made by Deepeeka) the prices vary greatly for the exact same models. I'd go with the best price(also consider sellers return policy,etc.).Look at the Gallic helmets,for example,on different sellers AND E-bay. I could have paid $99 for the same one that I could have bought for $250 elsewhere. :wink: (Hope your question was "what's it worth").
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
I think I'll hold off on this item, as I actually just got a Deepeeka Imperial Italic G helmet. I think I might as well focus on Roman stuff, now! Thanks for the feedback, guys!

-Gregory-

(p.s. I picked up the G for only $85!)
Gregory J. Liebau
The Bronze Age Center
Ave,Greg.

WTG! great shopping. Is your helmet extra large? I have to pad mine so much.(Not quite as bad as my corinthian,though.

Vale-
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Hey Andy,

The helmet should actually be on the way, as I only paid for it via paypal a couple of days ago. It was advertised as being 8" across and 8.5" from front to back. This would make it just about an inch larger than my own head in each direction, so the padding will definitely be there, but I doubt it will be huge on me.

If it is, there's a 10 day return policy, and even more likely a nice profit to be gained on it through selling it on my own!

Cheers!

-Gregory-
Gregory J. Liebau
The Bronze Age Center

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Depeeka horn helmet Emeraldweapon7d 10 2,558 10-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Last Post: hoplite14gr