Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coolus C tinned???
I noticed that in the Guttman collection there was a fantastically well preserved gallic A, that owes its condition to the fact that it was tinned.

I just picked up an excellent deepeeka coolus C and I was wondering, would it be outragously wrong to tin or or silver it?

Just wandering what your opinions are.

Thanks!!

-Gordak
AKA: Sam Johnson
Go to this thread and scroll down to Vortigern's post, although he does apply it to late Roman helmets:
link from old RAT
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Actually, I was asking if it would be historically accurate to tin a coolus C, not "how too". I guess there isnt much historical evidence either way.

But thanks for the suggestion.

-Gordak
Quote:Actually, I was asking if it would be historically accurate to tin a coolus C, not "how too". I guess there isnt much historical evidence either way.

You must have missed the quote, so here it is:

Quote:I know a Dutch archaeologist who claims that all Late Roman helmets were tinned, not silvered.
He says that the experts got all their tests wrong or didn't bther to test at all, just assumeing that the helmets were silvered.
He claims that when some tests on other 'silvered' equipment was carried out, it turned out that it was tinned after all. Hence his assumption that Late Roman helmets (most if not all seem to have been silvered) were really just tinned.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Ah! thanks! I missed that! Very interesting.

But what about 300 years before that? anybody?
If i dont hear any objections, I will assume that gallic A that was tinned was a common practice.

Ill post pictures when im done.
-Gordak
I haven't seen any Late Roman tinned helmet! The iron componets of late helmets were individually wrapped with gilt silver or copper embossed plates and that was all!
Of course, this won't answer your question, Sam, sorry! :?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
I am sure I have read about, or seen a cheekplate from a Coolus type helmet with tin plating.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:I haven't seen any Late Roman tinned helmet! The iron componets of late helmets were individually wrapped with gilt silver or copper embossed plates and that was all!
Of course, this won't answer your question, Sam, sorry! :?
Aitor, I confronted the archaeologist in question (he'll be at Meijel next year Big Grin ), and told him about your conclusions. I'm not sure he accepted all of it, but at least he was no longer adament about tinning of Late Roman helmets. He shoulkd though, because he's building a replica of the Deurne helmet himself! He also knows a lot about the 'circumstances' of the Venlo helmet, if you get my drift. Best ask him about it next year!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
No doubt I'll do, Robert! Big Grin
Now that nobody is listening, I must send the text of my paper for the Meijel Conference by the beginning of December and I haven't started yet... :?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Better get a move on, then!!! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)