Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I wish to find a book on...
Hi Constaine here I was wondering are there any Historical books on Julian the Apostate and his times. I have Ammianus Marcellinus but wondered if any more recent research has been done. Cheers Constaine
He who desires peace ,let him prepare for war. He who wants victory, let him train soldiers diligently. No one dares challenge or harm one who he realises will win if he fights. Vegetius, Epitome 3, 1st Century Legionary Thomas Razem
You may like the book by G.W. Bowersock, Julian the Apostate (1978; several reprints); no less relevant is P.Athanassiadi, Julian and Hellenism (1992). Athanassiadi writes with so much empathy for ancient paganism, that ancient historians joke that she is actually worshipping the ancient gods. More recent is Michel Narcy, Éric Rebillard, Hellénisme et christianisme. Collection Mythes, Imaginaires, Religions (2004).

Articles:
  • S. Bradbury, "Julian's Pagan Revival and the Decline of Blood Sacrifice", in Phoenix 49 (1995);
    Suzanna Elm, "Orthodoxy and the True Philosophical Life: Julian and Gregory of Nazianzus", in Studia Patristica 37 (2001);
    K. Rosen, "Kaiser Julian auf dem Weg vom Christentum zum Heidentum", in Jahrbuch für Antike und Christentum 40 (1997).

And of course the outrageously funny novel by Gore Vidal, Julian.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Hello Constaine!

I have just finished a book about Julian the Apostate by Adrian Murdoch called "The Last Pagan". It was a very engaging and well written book and covered quite well also the military career of Julianus, which despite it`s flaws and short duration was remarkable.

The socio-political situation of Julianus short reign didn`t in fact help his ambitions, considering religious and military matters. Bearing these facts in mind I think Julianus is one of the most interesting characters in roman history. And there is the tragic hero syndrome, which is always, alas!, so appealing! The religious aspirations of Julianus career are not covered very thoroughly in this book, but it is a very good introduction to Julianus career (and latest!). In paperback the book should be available in Amazon.co.uk within a reasonable price.

PS. Adrian Murdoch is currently writing a book about "The Teutoburg Forest Massacre", so more "tragic" material is yet to be released! Hope this will help a bit!

Virilis Finlandicus, Ultima Thule
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]