Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Costs of a legion
Does anyone have an idea what the upkeep of a legion in peace time did cost? An easy calculation suggests 6,000 x 225 denarii for the pay of the legionaries; but there must have been other expenses. Anyone any thoughts?

Jona
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
We're talking about a pre-Domitianic legion here? :wink:
The easy way would indeed be to calculate the total number of soldiers multiplied by salary. 6000 is a bit high perhaps (80*60 / 80 * 54 + 160*5 would be more conventional), but that might compensate for the sesquiplicarii, duplicarii, equites and centurions who would earn considerably more.
I don't think I have ever read anything about the other costs for a legion. A legion would make purchases with traders for food, clothing, etc, but the soldiers suffered deductions from their pay for that. Otherwise, it would have been largely self-sufficient.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Let's assume a Domitianic legion in which a soldier received 300 denarii/year. (I'm trying to figure out what the income of the fiscus Judaicus -40,000,000 sesterces/year- signified for the Roman empire.)
  • Cohorts 2-9 had 9*6*80=4320 men, and Cohort 1 had 5*160 men; 5120 men >>> 1,536,000 den.
    There were 58 centurios, who earned 5,000 den >>> 290,000 den.
    There were 120 cavalrymen, who earned 400 den >>> 48,000 den.
These figures are more or less "hard". I've now visited the library and can get a bit beyond thus. Yann Le Bohec offers a guess for the officers.
  • Primipilus: 25,000
    Five equestrian tribunes: 5*2500 >>> 12,500
    One angusticlavian tribune: 10,000
    Praefectus castrorum: 25,000
    Prefect of the cavalry: 15,000
I think it is remarkable that a tribune earned less than a centurio, although as an equestrian, he did of course not need the money.

The legatus was, in the Severan age, reckoned to earn as much a procurator: >>> 60,000 (assuming he was a sexenarius).

Assumed sesquiplicarii:
  • Tesserarii: 59*450 >>> 26,550
    Cornicens: 59*450 >>> 26,550
    Signifers: 59*450 >>> 26,550
Assumed duplicarius:
  • optiones: 59*600 >>> 35,400
Assumed triplicarius:
  • aquilifer: 900

Grand total: 2,137,450 denarii, or about 9,000,000 sesterces.

This is, I think, a reasonable guess for the payment of wages. Does anyone have an idea about additional bonuses (bootnail & shoe allowance, fodder allowance for cavalry)? How much money was spent for the upkeep of the fort? What was the prize of weapons and armor? Etcetera?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I can't remember ever reading about it. Maybe someone else? If not, this might make a little article.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Have you checked J.B.Campbell, The Emperor and the Roman Army 31 BC- AD 235, p.161ff. It has an extensive discussion of the cost of the army to the empire. Campbell does not consider such costs as you mentioned though.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
There's also some stuff in Campbell's War & Society in Imperial Rome, mostly in a footnote, but my copy's gone awol so I can't give you a page number or summary. If I recall correctly, Dominic Rathbone's got a chapter on the cost of the army in the forthcoming Cambridge History of Ancient Warfare, and the forthcoming Blackwell's Companion to the Roman Army has a chapter which includes the financial cost of the army. It'll probably be a toss-up as to which one comes out first but they're (allegedly) both due next year.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica - various costs? scamander 3 1,718 01-24-2017, 01:27 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  armor costs! Natasha 7 2,143 04-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Last Post: jkaler48