Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caerleon military equipment esp Daggers
A while ago Crispus related his disappointment at the fact that not all the Caerleon daggers are on display and the staff on duty didn't know a lot about them.
I have a friend who happens to be a conservator at the National museum of Wales so I asked her about the daggers.
She told me that Evan the curator of the military equipment was going to be publishing an article about all the Roman equipment from Caerleon he has done so. It is in the B.A.R. and is well worth the effort of finding a copy. She also sent me some photos and some more detailed info on the Daggers, I don't know what the copy right restrictions etc are but Crispus if you E-mail me on musketeer1642athotmail.com I will pass on contact details etc.
Tasciavanous
AKA James McKeand
Evan Chapman, A Catalogue of Roman Military Equipment in the National Museum of Wales, BAR (Archeopress) S388, 2005, isbn 1841718262. It's about 35 quid. Basically it's the publication of his Cardiff University MPhil thesis and covers the whole of Wales. But there is more unpublished stuff in the basement at Caerleon; I hope Evan 'll get on to it, but he's very busy!
Any Late Roman stuff in there?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Any Late Roman stuff in there?

Sorry, haven't seen the volume yet - these things take months to get through cataloguing in our library :roll: .
Probably most of the stuff is from Caerleon, which wouldn't be very late, but I try and e-mail Evan and ask the expert.
Hi and thanks Kate I should have put the full title in :oops:
Robert sorry it is almost exclusively mid1stC. to mid2ndC. equipment.
However I do think its 35 quid well spent.
Tasciavanous
AKA James McKeand

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information A Sixth or Early Seventh Century Ad Iconography of Roman Military Equipment in Egypt Condottiero Magno 0 1,034 03-27-2019, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno
  South Italian Military Equipment LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 1 1,441 10-29-2014, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Ross Cowan
  Roman military equipment in Croatia mcbishop 0 915 02-24-2013, 01:01 AM
Last Post: mcbishop