Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Learn Latin the easy way"
I've been looking for an easy way to learn latin and I stumbled across this link on another board, it looks pretty interesting. Does anyone have any comments on the method?<br>
<br>
www.cherryh.com/www/latin_language.htm <p></p><i></i>
It's good, as far as it goes. I'd still say the best way to learn Latin is to actually deal with text because you're not going to find a native speaker to practice with. Grammar can well be kept on the back burner for the first few months. Ideally, there wouldn't be any, but that's hard with a dead language.<br>
<br>
For beginners, I suggest Asterix. Most of the corpus has been translated into Latin, and while blatantly anti-Roman, it is a much better read than "Garfield, vide musculum! cape!" <p></p><i></i>
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Eheu! How can one forget <em>Winnie ille Pu</em>?!<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop<br>
(Who failed Latin O level twice, despite the aforementioned definitive text) <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Just wondering, are there any childrens latin primers out there similar to what most of of old guys used to learn to read way back in the first grade? You know, the "Jack went up the hill,up, up,up." Most books I have seen are college level and incomprehensible. What we need are children level books. <p></p><i></i>
I can't think of any 'see spot run' style books, but the Latin schoolbooks I used when I subbed in a 6th grade looked very good (I did a unit on Pompeiian graffiti, including mixing casein paint). The basic approach is simple, basic texts interspersed with grammar explanations, exercises and 'factoid corners'. Now, these are German, but I'm sure you can find similar ones in English. <p></p><i></i>
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Classical Academic Press has a primer series entitled "Latin for Children" that begins at the 2nd grade level, however, I have not personally reviewed them, so I can't vouch for them. I do recall back in college seeing outtakes from a set of primers for the very, very young- used alot of cartoons. If I get a chance to check my old files, I'll let you know.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
"The Cat in the Hat" and the first Harry Potter book have been translated into Latin and can be ordered. The Barnes & Noble I work at has them actually in stock. <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Translation...this should be easy! Magnus 9 4,974 01-14-2010, 12:35 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  Learn Latin on-line Anonymous 1 794 06-02-2004, 06:31 PM
Last Post: Anonymous