Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hasta Pura Nomination
Dear RAT'ers, to get started with the Hasta Pura award, you are hereby called to nominate your fellow RAT'ers of which you think that they have or make great reconstructions. All nominees are then asked to post in the HAST PURA thread. link from old RAT
I'm looking forward to see all the great stuff!
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I nominate Mithras for his late Roman soldier display and tent as I have seen this for myself...
(if this is acceptable being members of the same group?)
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
I concur! Mithras and his epic journeys are an example to us all!
(and i don't belong to his group Big Grin )
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I nominate myself for my interpetation of priest of Ares (Mars)

Ful impression: see attchment
100% Felt cup. Headband 100% linen with silk piping
Natural wax candle. 100% linen chiton stichec with silk thread.
Chiton close up (Sleeve)
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hoplite14 ... pg&.src=ph
Chiton close up (Neck)
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hoplite14 ... pg&.src=ph

My thracian boots were presented in the Greek footware in Greek history section

Compromise: sword was depeeka hoplite sword made of steel
Hi!
So then please make your presentation in accordance with the Hasta Pura rules, as can be read here, or below:
Quote:1. The Hasta Pura award will in future be given by a group of Forum Members. These Forum members are those who have received the award already, and me. We have a discussion bord, where we decide who will get the next Hasta Pura.

2. Nominees will have to follow a model nomation to make their own nomination. Any nominations that do not follow the model nomination must have a darn good reason for not doing so, and name this reason in the presentation.

3. The terminology for a "reconstruction" is quite clear: Reproduce an object with the methods with which it was made. As this is usually hardly achieved, it is O.K. to present any "reproductions", as long as the presentation clearly states why a compromise in the reconstruction process was made.

4. Nominees may only participate with one (1) object.

5. Nominations can be made by any registered forum user.

6. The award will no longer be given at a certain point, nor will there be aby longer any deadlines. When a very good contribution is made, the award will be given

Presentations are to be made in the following order:

1.: You must provide at least one good picture of the object.

2.: You must name the original that is reconstructed, cite the publication(s) concerned with the object, and provide (a) picture(s) of the original.

3.: You must name who made the reconstruction, with what method(s), with what material(s), and you must name any compromises in material and reconstruction method that were made during creation of the object.

4.: Only the text and pictures to be seen in the presentation are used for appraisal, no links. If you have more than three pictures you may make several postings.
Christian K.

Hi all,

time for another Hasta Pura or two, no?

I would like to nominate Aitor (artillery, Deurne shoes) and Cacaius (textiles, tools etc.) - perhaps you could present a piece of yours according to the rules set out above, guys?

cheers,

Martin
I would like to nominate John McDermott for a Hasta Pura.
Christian K.

Quote:I would like to nominate John McDermott for a Hasta Pura.

I don't in any way wish this to sound rude, especially to John, it may be my ignorance, but what items has John made?
Hm. Why does this play a role? It is also OK to get a Hasta Pura for objects you did not make yourself. You have to make a good presentation, though.
Christian K.

Thanks Christian. Big Grin

I thought the Hasta Pura was just for items reconstructed by the nominee.
I think it's not the same to make a reproduction or to make a good choice of reproductiont to make a impression.

So i think probably was better to make two kind of awards in order to mantain that distinction.

There are a lot of very good impressions: Robert, Aitor, Faventianus, John Mac Dermott, Peroni, Gala Placidia, and a long etc... They haven't make all his equipment (nor me) but have had a good choice in assembling parts for amke a good impression.

But that's probably my personal opinion.... :roll:
So if I make a good presentation of shoes made by Sarah Juniper I might get the award?
And if somebody else makes another presentation about the same object they can compete as well?

So we are awarding object knowledge and presentation skills with this award, not metalcraft and such skills?

I just never realised that.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:So if I make a good presentation of shoes made by Sarah Juniper I might get the award?
And if somebody else makes another presentation about the same object they can compete as well?

So we are awarding object knowledge and presentation skills with this award, not metalcraft and such skills?
Well, yes and no. You probably would not be nominated for those shoes alone. If you are nominated, it is your own choice which object of yours you wish to bring in. Then you have to show your knowledge about it. Then your presentation has to stand before the jury.
This point of the hasta pura was actually discussed in the mod forum, as far as I can remember. The idea is that not everybody is able to make a real reconstruction, I mean, propably noone really goes out there and moulds his own iron from ore found in a former roman mine. Most people simply buy their iron. It is difficult to draw a line here. Also, if I do research like hell to get info on, say, a roman cloak, look at the original, count the threads, investigate colours etc., and then tell someone who is a good weaver to make it for me modeled after the information gathered... you get the point, I guess.
If I earn a lot of money and have things commissioned that otherwise would not be made, it´s a contribution to "reconstruction" as well, isn´t it?
Doesn´t necessarily give you the hasta pura award, though. You still have to prove your knowledge. Smile

Again, reading the Hasta Pura rules also helps:
Quote:3.: You must name who made the reconstruction, with what method(s), with what material(s), and you must name any compromises in material and reconstruction method that were made during creation of the object.
Christian K.

Quote:There are a lot of very good impressions: Robert, Aitor, Faventianus, John Mac Dermott, Peroni, Gala Placidia, and a long etc... They haven't make all his equipment (nor me) but have had a good choice in assembling parts for amke a good impression.

In that sense: I´d like to nominate Peroni as well. Smile
Christian K.

So to get this straight, the Hasta Pura is also for someone who makes a very good sword, but also for someone who does a very good impression of (say) a Roman soldier by buying very good replicas? The main thing is that you will have to make a presentation about your object(s) for a jury which will decide how well you know your stuff?

If we nominate someone else, can they decline because they feel they don't know enough about their gear?
And if we nominate someone else, do we have to say in advance what they are nominated for? For instance, what are you nominating Peroni for - what does have to defend in front of the jury?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Edge Gibbons -- Hasta Pura Submission (1st Post) Gaius_Calvus 1 5,662 12-16-2008, 02:51 AM
Last Post: Magnus
  Edge Gibbons -- Hasta Pura Submission (Final Post) Gaius_Calvus 2 6,182 12-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Gaius_Calvus
  Edge Gibbons -- Hasta Pura Submission (3rd Post) Gaius_Calvus 0 4,142 12-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Gaius_Calvus