Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you take pictures?
<FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>I follow technology trends constantly, and am curious, from an archival, sharing and just plain usefulness point of view, what sort of camera you all use. This would be a 'right now' point of view, but for those heading for cellphone/camera types, that is an interesting trend too. </FONT><FORM method=post action="http://p200.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm2.processVote?topicID=996.topic"><table border=0 cellpadding=3 cellspacing=0 width="55%"><tbody><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="1"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>35MM and all silver film based, and prefer it</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="2"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Digital Camera </FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="3"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Currently have a Cell phone with digital Camera</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="4"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Thinking of going to a Cellphone/digital cam combination</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="5"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Thinking of going to a 35mm or film camera</FONT></td></tr></tbody></table><P><input type=submit value="Vote"></form><a HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm2.showMessage?topicID=996.topic&pollResults=on><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=1>Show results</FONT></A> <p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I just got my cybershot digi cam recently. <p>Valete,<br>
Dave/Cicero<br>
<br>
QUI DESIDERAT PACEM PRAEPARAT BELLUM<br>
<br>
www.freewebs.com/seguntienses/index.htm</p><i></i>
I have all three, how do I vote? IMHO the digital cameras on phones may get a higher resolution almost daily, but the lenses are still crap. They do make nice emergency backups. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I used to use an optical camera exclusively (35mm 400° slide film for museum pictures - it costs a fortune, but it works). Last week I finally bought a digital camera and I look forward to embarrassing myself with it. But I'm not throwing out my Pentax just yet. The d**m thing has a battery life of under four hours - I don't know how many museum cafeterias offer sockets. <p></p><i></i>
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Cameras on phones? I need <em>that</em> about as much as a washing machine on my bicycle!<br>
<br>
I use a 3.2mp digital for everyday use but when digging still have to use 35mm SLRs and all the pain that entails (being shut in the toolstore by my diggers so I can rescue yet another mangled roll of film that's come off the spool - I've even had to do that head first in a sleeping bag when on fieldwork in Jordan - the grinding of dirt in the mechanism etc etc). The picture quality of SLRs is of course great... if you don't mind streaks from scratches on the film, the light meter having a hissy fit at just the wrong moment... and so on and so on. Yes I know you're supposed to keep them clean, but you try it digging in a British winter. Every camera would need a complete strip down after every dig and who can afford that? Okay, rant over...<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Yes, digital cameras eat batteries for breakfast, lunch, dinner and in-betweens. Which is why I am not unhappy that mine takes normal rechargable AA batteries. Not very expensive to have a few extra sets handy, unlike horrible specialized batteries. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
35mm no-flash 400 asa pushed to 600 in museums, unless the light is good then 400 asa at 400. Convert to digital image by scanning. For outdoor work 100 or 200 ASA depending on subject and lighting. I have a digital HP which is okay for movies and pictures, but 35mm gives me better resolution, the Hp is a R707 5.1 Megapixal, so it's not that bad, but 35mm is better for what I do.<br>
<br>
<p>"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance -- that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:</em></strong><hr>The d**m thing has a battery life of under four hours<hr><br>
Hi Carlton,<br>
<br>
I use rechargable NiMh batteries, which give me weeks of battery life. Provided, of course, I download the images to my pc with the help of a socket and don't use the screen too much. <p>Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert<br>
[url=http://www.fectio.org.uk/" target="top]fectienses seniores[/url]</p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I have a digital an old exa 35mm and the ones I probably love the most the throwaways and plastic baggies. I now travel only with the digital and the trowaways and plastic baggies. I write a basic note on the camera when the roll is doneand the only time they come out of the baggie is when I need to use it. so far its worked pretty good and really have never been let down so far....... but now that I have said that..... :roll: - Ocatvianvs
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
[size=150:blpyol62]I[/size] love them and Hell, mine's only an old Kodak DC 120 my Onkel Deks gave me... takes AA batts, and I never use the screen to look at crap, just shoot and look later. Not a lot of fancyness, but it works. And yeah, I need something w/ more features, but this one works well...

My dad bought a nice Nikon a few years back that shoots great stuff w/ it's macro setting, so I guess someday I'll get something better. Still the DC120 works fine. And Hell, if a pix sucks, I just delete it. ;-) ) No cost to print it out. Anyway, I only use stuff on the 'Net really so....
Best, DMV
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)