Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Phalanx" in Herodotus, Thucydides
I can not visit the library for some time, but perhaps one of you has a fine Greek dictionary and can help me with the following question: Do Herodotus and Thucydides use the word phalanx? I know it is in Homer and Xenophon, but can not think of an instance in the two historians mentioned above. This is probably a black-out on my behalf.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Xenophon, Anabasis book 1, chapter 2, section 17
When he had driven past them all, he halted his chariot in front of the centre of the phalanx, and sending his interpreter Pigres to the generals of the Greeks, gave orders that the troops should advance arms and the phalanx move forward in a body. (7.63)

More on this link:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/vo ... k;start=40

Hope I helped
Kind regards
Stefanos
Thanks, this helps me a lot to find back the Xenophon quotes. Homer's use of phalanx is also easy to track. Still, I can not remember any use of phalanx by Herodotus or Thucydides. Am I suffering from amnesia? (If only I had a dictionary over here...)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
There's a form of the word, but with another meaning in Herodotus, The Histories book 3, chapter 97, section 3
Can't find any in Thucydides.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thucydides and Xenophon eugene 8 2,742 06-11-2010, 12:43 AM
Last Post: Xenophon223
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,769 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite
  Thucydides Peloponesian War Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus 4 3,827 06-24-2004, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus