Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auxiliary weapons
I seem to remember a Latin author saying that auxilaries often used their own native weapons- but I can't locate the quote or the author......could someone help me out here, please?

Thanks,

Britannicus
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Paulus,

wasn't it Tacitus. Having described the legions, then says that he will not describe the auxilia because the auxilia present such complexity and variety that he cannot afford to devote the necessary space to the subject. He does however say that the auxilia retain their native arms.

Regards,
"There were besides, in commanding positions in the provinces, allied fleets, cavalry and light infantry, of but little inferior strength. But any detailed account of them would be misleading, since they moved from place to place as circumstances required, and had their numbers increased and sometimes diminished."
Tac Annals 4.5.
The translation gives auxilia cohortium as 'light infantry' which is of course inaccurate (but what the heck, it's a 19th century translation). But there's nothing here on retaining native fighting techniques. Tacitus is keen on the idea of legions and auxiliaries fighting with different styles (Annals 12.35, the assault on Caratacus' stronghold is only one example), and is the main historical source cited in the 'legionary and auxiliary equipment' discussion (talk to Mike Bishop about that one Big Grin ).
Some of the older works (Cheesman being the obvious example, Auxilia of the Roman Imperial Army 1914, 90) argue that as auxiliaries were recruited more and more from local populations, the native fighting styles were diluted and aux & legionaries were fighting in a similar way (so the Romans introduced numeri) but I'm not entirely convinced because of the links between fighting style and equipment. Which was my round-about way of ultimately having to agree with Mike on legionary / auxiliary equipment!

So, anyone got the ref to what Peroni was thinking of?

Kate
Lendon in Soldiers and Ghosts , using a structuralist methodology , thinks that the utilization of auxiliary is linked with the two base roman concepts of war ( virtus and disciplina ) ; the romans thought the disciplina can be taught , but the virtus was natural; from this the use of barbarians in auxilia and numeri ( and origo castris in major number in legions with the time) for to balance the virtus with the disciplina of civilized soldiers of legions. En effect Lendon make a notation , on trajan column the scenes of fighting represent auxilia in great majority , the construction scenes represent legionaries. Is possible that the artist want represents the two different idea of roman art of war with the two categories of soldiers.
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman weapons and culture and Hindus weapons SAJID 7 3,047 01-01-2015, 08:39 AM
Last Post: daryush