Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
caligae lacing
Avete,all. I need to ask a question concerning the lacing of caligae. This is one of those questions which has probably been around before but here goes. Why are the caligae laced in the way that most are seen? It seems to me that if the protruding ends were stitched into a loop with a single stitch the lacing would be more consistant with that of a regular shoe(sandal,boot,etc.). The greeks seem to have loops to lace through and this way seems more practical.Any thoughts?? Thanks,Andy
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
I initally thought that the way to wear caligae was with the protruding ends flattened by the way you lace them. However, if you look at the front cover of Junkelmann's 'Die Legionen des Augustus' he blatantly (and you can't get more blatant) has the ends sticking up.
[Image: 3805308868.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg]

I imagine personal preference also plays a part, but after thinking about it a while I figured it may be a practical thing also. In effect, the 'raised ridge' acts as extra protection, just like the ridge on a ridged helmet. At least that's my opinion :?

Graham Sumner's 'Roman Military Clothing' also shows the ends sticking up, so that's two experts I can think of off the top of my head. He also points out that the ridge effect is visible on tombstones.

Also, stitching can come undone with heavy duty use, as seen by boots needing to be replaced around 3 times a year, also necessary by the hobnails wearing down. The Ermine Street Guard also testify to the longevity being short in their 'Equipment' essay, even though their use is nowhere nearly as frequent as a real legionary's 2000 years ago.

Cheers.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks,Tarbicus for your response. It was just one of those things that had been bothering me and I knew someone here had the answer. Yes, you certainly can't get any more blatant than that.Nice picture Big Grin Andy(Gaivs Antonius Scaeva)
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Tombstones: check the imagebase, I'm sure there are some detail photos in there.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Keeping those "tabs" sticking up helps in putting on, adjusting, and then taking off the boots. With the tabs up, it's easier to find the slits to stuff the lacings through, when you tie it all up it's much like the tabs on a drum, you can adjust the "tension" by pulling the tabs about to get a more snug fit (or loosen it) and then take up that slack with the knot at the top/end. And when you take them off, you just undo the knot and then pull apart each pair of tabs until you can take off the boot.

I've also found it more comfortable to have the tabs up anyway, if you have them flat, they tend to dig into your feet and just sit uncomfortably, as well as always wiggling out of adjustment when you walk around, when the tabs are up there is much less chance for that, they appear to be more flexible but still secure when the tabs are up.

I've also noticed that when you have them laced [tabs up], if someone steps on your heel (or stumbling on yourself...admit it!) the boot stays securely on your feet. When wearing sneakers, it's easy to have it come undone or just pulled off your foot when that happens.

Now, actually lacing them up, I'd say that's up to the individual. Do what works for you. Tongue
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paenula "lacing" mstraatm 1 1,445 04-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Squamata lacing scotti73 2 1,538 04-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Last Post: scotti73
  Lacing loop help! emj1s 16 3,675 09-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius