Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More films with Romans to come
Quote:
Now as bloodthirsty as Boudicca was said to be during the rebellion, could you blame her or the Britons after the way many of them had been treated.
Arthes,
I'd say the violence on either side was rather unusual. Neither the Romans who violated the family were particularly nasty, nor wwere the Iceni, I think. The rapes, woould that be because the Roman soldiers were very bad men, or were the cavalrymen posibly Celtic auxiliaries, intent to settle an old score, or was that to do some ritual 'desecration' of the royal family or something?

I think all the stuff of Boudicca as a 'avenging mother' of her family/people, is all very Victorian, but I doubt it was personal at all. Standards of 'norma' vuiolence were totally different then, if you can believe what you read.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Matt, I'm with you on that 'all were kinda violent' thing..
Quote:Then again, Eric Brana was excellent as Hector, Russell Crowe made Maximus, and even Brad Pitt suited Achilles- so maybe there's hope Big Grin

Brad Pitt suited Achilles?? You must've seen another movie!!! :twisted:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:
Quote:Arthes; the fact that you (an englishwoman) rooted for the scots in braveheart
I didn't, I wanted the English to win. Confusedhock: Good ending I thought :wink:
Tarbicus, you nasty man!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hey guys Constaine here you know its Hollywood. So sit back gets some popcorn and enjoy the show. Of course the Romans are evil are at the very least stupid. Should be interting to see how they protray her demise. Hey Arthes your new symbol looks great. Cheers Constaine
He who desires peace ,let him prepare for war. He who wants victory, let him train soldiers diligently. No one dares challenge or harm one who he realises will win if he fights. Vegetius, Epitome 3, 1st Century Legionary Thomas Razem
[size=150:39tscscj]We have our own William Wallace Moderator in the far right! :lol: [/size]

"FAVENTIANVS" http://geocities.com/ivarmaelstrom/praying.JPG

Praying at the battle site...

That is also one of my favorite movie!....when I got the movie, basicaly I watch it all the time...Poor celts!....always germanics give them trouble for centuries! :lol: ....

I use to live behind a Giant mountain, a country that have big mountains like the movie, it was almost similar, to me was like if I was in Heaven!....

The Darkish scot young man....I think it was a Welsh or descendant of the Pict's who were darkish right!?

PS: I thought that Mel was going to do first the Epic of Alexander! Confusedhock:

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Quote:Mind you, according to his name and a number of historians, William Wallace's family was actually Welsh! Smile And IIRC, Welsh (or the North British variation ) was spoken in a few parts of Southern Scotland until the 15th century...
That's true, the name supposedly came from the Anglo Saxon word Waelas..Welsh...
I guess as Longshanks was busily bullying the Welsh as well as the Scots, William had scores to settle on two sides. :?

Quote:I'd say the violence on either side was rather unusual. Neither the Romans who violated the family were particularly nasty, nor wwere the Iceni, I think. The rapes, woould that be because the Roman soldiers were very bad men, or were the cavalrymen posibly Celtic auxiliaries, intent to settle an old score, or was that to do some ritual 'desecration' of the royal family or something?

This page gives a good idea of the situation....
[url:ah2eshn7]http://www.romans-in-britain.org.uk/his_boudiccan_rebellion_causes-2.htm[/url]
From Tacitus...Chapter 31. [Causes of Boudicca's revolt]
Prasutagus, the late king of the Icenians, in the course of a long reign had amassed considerable wealth. By his will he left the whole to his two daughters and the emperor in equal shares, conceiving, by that stroke of policy, that he should provide at once for the tranquility of his kingdom and his family.
The event was otherwise. His dominions were ravaged by the centurions; the slaves pillaged his house, and his effects were seized as lawful plunder. His wife, Boudicca, was disgraced with cruel stripes; her daughters were ravished, and the most illustrious of the Icenians were, by force, deprived of the positions which had been transmitted to them by their ancestors. The whole country was considered as a legacy bequeathed to the plunderers. The relations of the deceased king were reduced to slavery.

Dio Cassius had some sympathetic words to say on her behalf too..
Quote:Hey Arthes your new symbol looks great.
Thanks Constaine... Big Grin
Quote: "FAVENTIANVS" http://geocities.com/ivarmaelstrom/praying.JPG
Praying at the battle site...
Which battle site are they at ?
Quote:The Darkish scot young man....I think it was a Welsh or descendant of the Pict's who were darkish right!?
One of the Welsh tribes (for want of a better word) were said to have dark skins with 'wooly hair' amongst them and the Picts are tradionally small and dark, but if they are of Scythian descent....maybe not...lol
Quote:PS: I thought that Mel was going to do first the Epic of Alexander!
There is another Alexander film now I think about it.....not Mel though, he is filming about the Mayans....in the ancient language again...[/quote]
There is another Alexander film coming...will post about that....incidentially I was talking to my friend earlier and she mentioned visiting Alexander's sarcophagus...I hadn't known...!!!
(I know I must have forgotten someone....next post.... :oops: )
regards
Arthes
William Wallace and Boudicca Moderator... :wink:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
"With The Patriot I was on the side of the American revolutanaries - again, you had the evil british (with accents to prove it)
(I seem to like Mel Gibson films and dislike the British )"

it would be touching if every charge of atrocities lumped on the britis there weren't total rubbish, and if we had actually had a right to rebellion, and were not in fact comitting treason. BTW, I am an american who rooted for the british, but I am also Irish, so we aren't too fond of the british in my family. :wink:
aka., John Shook
Quote:And Might I add Hurrah!

For our very own Vin Diesel is set to direct and play the title character of HANNIBAL. Not about cannibals this time, but "the Carthaginian general who led an elephant-riding battalion across the Alps to attack Rome in the 3rd Century B.C". :roll:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382731/
http://www.hannibaltheconqueror.net/
I am afraid. But it might also be good fun.
Greetings Arrian,
that site looks good.....! Big Grin
There is another Hannibal film on ice right now....Denzel Washington was wanting to portray Hannibal as dark skinned....which started a lot of discussion about his background and origins (Hannibal not Denzel) it is quite possible that he was dark, although his (supposed) features to me looked more Arabic or Semenic (Hannibal).
[url:1wx3f6k1]http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808501902[/url]
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
ARRGH
Please please stop being nice about Braveheart.
I hate it with a passion.
1 I was in it and it was one of the most miserable shoots I've ever endured
2 I'm Scottish and take great umbrage at the Scots hovel village, the suggestion that Scotland was a land of barely civilized savages and the terrible "re-writing" of the Wallace story... a story I was brought up on and that always filled me with pride in the same way that "Flower of Scotland" makes my heart sing and my chest swell!

On the Boudicca note I strongly suggest that anyone with a passing interest reads "Queen Boudicca's battle of Britain" by Richard Hunt. Its a very well written re-examination of the rebellion and Hunt proposes some very interesting and thought provoking theory's that really do set the accepted version of events in a new light.
Tasciavanous
AKA James McKeand
Quote:ARRGH
2 I'm Scottish and take great umbrage at the Scots hovel village, the suggestion that Scotland was a land of barely civilized savages and the terrible "re-writing" of the Wallace story... a story I was brought up on and that always filled me with pride in the same way that "Flower of Scotland" makes my heart sing and my chest swell!
At least his name and courage were heard of and the film inspired a lot of non Scots (and those with more distant ancestry) to learn more.
I also like Flowers of the Forest, the sound of the bagpipe makes me feel sad and strangely proud.
Did you know the Scythians had bagpipes too, a modern Hungarian band uses a reproduction one...

Quote:On the Boudicca note I strongly suggest that anyone with a passing interest reads "Queen Boudicca's battle of Britain" by Richard Hunt. Its a very well written re-examination of the rebellion and Hunt proposes some very interesting and thought provoking theory's that really do set the accepted version of events in a new light.
Thanks, I will try to get hold of that....
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-
Quote:Constaine Valens wrote:
Hey Arthes your new symbol looks great

Hi Arthes,

but Your previous one looked very cool, too. I always wanted to ask You: was it from an old picture of Lawrence Alma-Tadema that I don't know? And Your next to last avatar showed a warrior with an Intercissa type helmet - from which Osprey (or other) publication was it from? I know these questions are somewhat off-this-topic - only out of curiosity.

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Quote:
Quote:Constaine Valens wrote:
Hey Arthes your new symbol looks great

Hi Arthes,

but Your previous one looked very cool, too. I always wanted to ask You: was it from an old picture of Lawrence Alma-Tadema that I don't know? And Your next to last avatar showed a warrior with an Intercissa type helmet - from which Osprey (or other) publication was it from? I know these questions are somewhat off-this-topic - only out of curiosity.

Greets - Uwe
Greetings Uwe,
Comerus gave me the link for the last avatar and the bearded warrior, who I didn't notice was bearded, was from the Gallery... :oops: It is not in any of the Osprey Books I have, but is from the 4/5th century and a Cavalry helm...
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-
Quote: the bearded warrior, who I didn't notice was bearded, was from the Gallery... :oops: It is not in any of the Osprey Books I have, but is from the 4/5th century and a Cavalry helm...

You mean this one?
[Image: avatar57.jpg]
It's one I scanned from Warriors and Warlords - the art of Angus McBride. Afaik, it's unpublished elsewhere.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
anyone hear about this movie, its about the distruction of varus's legions.
www.phalera.com
Gavin Creegan
Yes, I know about it. The trailer will be finished, but I'm told the movie never will. It was produced by Marc Sanders of Legio X Gemina (NL), who then discovered that fatherhood, work, re-enactment and full-lenght movie-making may not always go well together. Or so I was told. As far as I know, the end product will not be shot, at least not by him. Too bad, really, what I've seen so far looked great!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Films you have seen alone in the cinema Iagoba 7 1,752 08-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Some films of interest..... Arthes 1 1,087 10-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Marcus F.