Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a few more newbie questions
Quote:I've got a quick question myself. I need a focale fast, but i don't have a piece of linen large enough to make a triangular one(i'm alergic to wool :oops: ) the good news is i have a good sized strip left over from my last tunic, but it's a bit too big to wear. i need to know what the size of a strip focale should be. thanks.

I'm not aware of any actual artifact focalia having ever been found, so if that is truly the case, any shape that people use is really conjectural- so you can make it whatever shape you find works.

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
hmm true, but I want it the knee part of it, guess Ill have to try and get some metal and hammer it until it looks right :p thanks for all the answers.
Greetings from.
Kenneth Bjerhof - Denmark
Have a look at the tombstones listed on the romanarmy.com site- a couple of them show greaves- those of Q Sertorius Festus and M Favionus Facilis show them nicely. Here are the links:

[url:3hcrs32d]http://www.romanarmy.com/imb/imagebase-show.asp?Selectie=5&Naaminvoer=festus&Inscrinvoer=&Litinvoer=&select1=Ala%20Afrorum&select2=Guard%20infantryman&select3=Alexandria&select4=Portrait&veranderdatum=&ID=25[/url]

[url:3hcrs32d]http://www.romanarmy.com/imb/imagebase-show.asp?Selectie=5&Naaminvoer=facilis&Inscrinvoer=&Litinvoer=&select1=Ala%20Afrorum&select2=Guard%20infantryman&select3=Alexandria&select4=Portrait&veranderdatum=&ID=50[/url]

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Hi Kenneth,

Try searching for greaves that don't have a hinged kneepiece, but still extend above the knee. They're out there I'm sure. Nix Imperial has them, and other vendors. Ebay is always a good place to try for something like that.

Cheers.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Actually one other option you have, if you have the time, equipment, etc. is to have someone weld the knees to the shins of those greaves and then grind down the seam so it's invisble- and voila, you have one-piece Centurio greaves. I'd just take them to an autobody shop to get the welding done and do the grinding with an angle grinder with a variety of abrasive discs.

Matt