Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet and armor type question
Newbie here. What type of armor is consistant with the Gallic C helmet?
Russell Hill
Hi Newbie,

Welcome to RAT.
But could you add your real name to your sig?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Should I also mention that I like puppy dogs and ice cream too. My favorite color is blue if anybody wants to know. Long walks on the beach and italian food is the way to impress me. I also like roses.Smile
Russell Hill
Quote:Newbie here. What type of armor is consistant with the Gallic C helmet?

There isn't any type consistant, you can wear hamata, segementata or if you can get a decent replica of it made squamata.
Tiberius Claudius Vindex
Coh I Nerv
aka Chris Goshey

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.geocities.com/naginata12084/hpage.html">http://www.geocities.com/naginata12084/hpage.html
If I'm not mistaken, the Gallic C is a 1st century AD type so either the usual Lorica hamata or a Corbridge Lorica segmentata would be appropriate.

Oh, and the reason Robert asked you to put your real name in your signature section is because it's a forum rule- so everyone knows who they're talking to, rather than just some screen name.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
That explains what I was looking to find out. I was wondering why it is that most reenactors portraying legionaires use the same type helmet instead of a variety. Is it just for consistancy with their legion? Also thanks for explaining the name thing.
Russell Hill
Hi Russell,

It wouldn't surprise me if its largely a case of following the most popular style- continuing its popularity. There's no reason I'm aware of to select the Gallic G/H over any other, but it seems to be the most commonly-seen helmet among re-enactors. It may also be partially an issue of availability- many of the non-Gallic G/H helmets that are commercially-available (inexpensive), are the more decorative and thus less-standard looking types, like the Italics. I personally prefer the Gallic for that reason. Most groups with websites do seem to allow a range of helmets- whatever's appropriate for their particular time period- but you do still see a remarkable consistency in the choice- again probably mostly due to popularity and the idea of a 'standard' type. Of course these are just hypotheses Big Grin

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
From what I've seen, the Gallic G/H, the last few years, had been the most commonly seen helmet in many groups. It was just a popular helmet. The Gallic I / Aquincum brass helmet now appears to becoming the more popular helmet, at least with mid-1st-century Romans. (Or maybe that's just a U.S. East Coast thing? 8)

This is possibly because the Gallic I - at least the one offered from Deepeeka - is considered to be very accurate (with some modifications, of course, to really bring it up) with a fairly affordable pricetag, that is currently available / "Off the Shelf".

I know I got my DPK Gallic I because it's considered accurate, it was "different" from all the other [iron/Gallic] helmets, and I was also able to get it at a very good price when I did....Oh, and it FIT my noggin too! :wink:

At least with the DPK Gallic G/H, some versions can be considered iffy, some parts had been improved with new versions, while some parts became bad with new versions.

But then, don't go by who's got what. Go with what you've researched to be good and accurate; available and with what time period; what you're willing to pay for; how much you're willing to put in to modification; and which type you just happen to think looks spiffy with your kit.

Personally I think it was a mixed-bag when it came to what each Legionary was wearing on him (historically). If the belt/balteus was chosen and decorated by the individual, then perhaps the helmet may have been a choice as well. It could also/instead have been what was made at the time or what was available. Who knows, perhaps they too had a "fashion" period for helmets as well? What [we] do know is that helmets did change over time, but apparently there was also a bit of crossover in styles/types.

Besides, a little variety is good, esspecially for us Romans! :lol:
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Thanks, I like the look of the Gallic C from Deepeeka and I've read that Mr. Peterson said it was pretty accurate too.
Russell Hill

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What type of Montefortino Helmet is suitable for Late Republic/Gallic Wars period? Corvus 4 728 11-13-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Corvus
  Maybe dumb question about squamata armor cilanos 6 1,382 09-13-2018, 02:58 PM
Last Post: cilanos
  Agen-Port Gallic type B question Dean Cunningham metalsmit 15 4,315 11-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Dean Cunningham metalsmit