Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cresting for Late Roman Ridge helms
Theodosius, are you going to try the Augst crest?

Can we set a new LR fashion trend Smile
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Hi Theodosius,

I've looked in vain for suppliers of crests ... did you have any retailer in mind specifically??
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Mithras, these three US retailers sell crests :

[url:3gdvnj4p]http://www.niximperial.biz/c2nrs_54.html[/url]

[url:3gdvnj4p]http://www.rustyspaintballgear.com/rs/catalog/bytype.asp?type=Roman+Helmets&offset=15[/url]

[url:3gdvnj4p]http://www.bytheswordinc.com/acatalog/Greek_and_Roman_Plumes.html[/url]

Quote:Theodosius, are you going to try the Augst crest? Can we set a new LR fashion trend

Yes, I think I will.

Good luck to us both :wink:
Jaime
Valerius,

Does your late centurion helmet's crest detach ?

If so, does it have those slits underneath it ?

I'm thinking it may be easier to install a horse hair crest to that one instead of to a Intercissa I.

Any thoughts ?
Jaime
Nope, my crest is fixed.
Yes, it might be easier, but i never heard of such hemets having horse-hair crests added to them.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Greetings,
personally, I think three or four look better....definitely a cavalry look for the infantry...or as somebody points out...Spartan.
If this helm was a 'status' one, which is possible, what rank do you suppose it would have represented....?
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:If this helm was a 'status' one, which is possible, what rank do you suppose it would have represented....?
Why would this be a 'status' helmet? The model is very basic, just the added crest would 'enhance' it a bit. Maybe many 'common' helmets had detachable crests?
Did earlier Gallic-type helmets have detachable crests?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Maybe many 'common' helmets had detachable crests? Did earlier Gallic-type helmets have detachable crests?

That's what I thought. Crests for parade, which then get removed for
combat (unless, of course, they're needed for battlefield recognition, such
as for Centurion/Optio). What interests me is the possibility that late-
Roman 'parade' crests might have been just as colourful and flamboyant
as in the Principate. Though I still like to think that they may have been
worn into battle as well. Why the hell shouldn't late-Roman troops want to
intimidate the enemy just as much as Spartans did? After all, with the
return to a more 'Hoplite' style of combat (fencing with a spear from
behind lenticular, round shields and wearing greaves) maybe a crested helmet was thought appropriate. 8)

Ambrosius
"Feel the fire in your bones."
Robert,

I have to say I prefer the one on the right.

Probably because it looks similar to the imperial type crests I'm used to seeing in the period I portray! Smile This does look very cool on the later helmets though.

Regards,
Hi Constaine here I was wondering with the Late Roman Goverment always straped for cash would the Roman Army have the money to spend on a O/ranks type a guy to make him look tough,scary?It seems to me when you have enough of a problem to give a man armour,sheild,sword and spear, a crest seems kinda pointless and a bit of a waste of money. I admit it looks sharp and all. Would crests perhaps been for elite units only? Anyhow something to chew on Cheers Constaine
He who desires peace ,let him prepare for war. He who wants victory, let him train soldiers diligently. No one dares challenge or harm one who he realises will win if he fights. Vegetius, Epitome 3, 1st Century Legionary Thomas Razem
Constaine,
Apart from one, each Late Roman helmet found so far had or shows signs it once had been covered with a thin sheet of silver or gold. How's that for 'strapped for cash'? Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:covered with a thin sheet of silver or gold. How's that for 'strapped for cash'? Very Happy
Maybe that's where all the money went so they couldn't afford the crests? :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Constaine here, thanks for the heads up Robert. It seems Late Romans were an odd bunch of fellows Ammianus writes"Through all their meritorious service in dangerous and critical times,the troops,though worn out by their labours in Gaul , had received neither pay nor gratuity" Food continued to be scarce and when Julian " took part of the seventeen days rations wich the troops carried on their backs" they the soldiers mutinied. If these helms were coverd in gold and silver then they must have belonged to either officers or elite troops. The average grunt in Julian's Army had a hard time getting food and pay let alone a glided helm Which rasies a question, how does one tell an Officer in the Late Roman Army, By cloak Helm crest or glided type of helm?Crests may be nice but I wonder does it make an accurate impression of the 4th century solider? Anyhow cheers Constaine
He who desires peace ,let him prepare for war. He who wants victory, let him train soldiers diligently. No one dares challenge or harm one who he realises will win if he fights. Vegetius, Epitome 3, 1st Century Legionary Thomas Razem
Quote:If these helms were coverd in gold and silver then they must have belonged to either officers or elite troops.
Maybe that's where all the money went, so the officers could afford the crests, and such like?
Quote:The average grunt in Julian's Army had a hard time getting food and pay let alone a glided helm Which rasies a question, how does one tell an Officer in the Late Roman Army, By cloak Helm crest or glided type of helm?
Have you ever worked in a modern day-to-day job which fits that description of bosses perfectly? And by 'bosses' I don't mean 'umbos'.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
OK. I've had a go. It was much easier than I imagined, though I have lots of holes left ready for my next consignment of crow feathers.

My method of fixing is authentic, a single slit in the top of the ridge, with a single plate of iron sticking through. Inside the helmet it is cut into 3 strips, which separate out to lay on the inside of the helmet under the padding. A firm fit.

I just need more feathers!!!!

[Image: cresthelm.jpg]

I've got lots more pictures online of the details, if anyone's interested.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chin Ties for Late Roman Intercisa Ridge Helmet Antoninus05 5 2,384 03-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  German website details for helms from Roman to Early Med Cheyenne 6 2,247 04-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Last Post: le Cavalier Invisible
  Late Roman Helms Anonymous 9 2,296 12-14-2004, 11:05 PM
Last Post: FAVENTIANVS