Crest Box Fitted - Interior View
img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/lord_mithras/crestinternal.jpg

Crested Ridge Helm - 3/4 View
img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/lord_mithras/cresthelm34.jpg

Crested Ridge Helm - Side View
img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/lord_mithras/cresthelmside.jpg
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Beautiful Biarchus P. Elliott!
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Oh goody!! How did you get the feathers in the crestplate?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I used the smallest drill bit I could and drilled holes into the top, I used a zig zag pattern of holes. To try and stay with the 'curve' of the crest, I first sketched in a few pencil lines along the crest box, these were my guide when I was deciding on the 'angle' of my hole drilling. I cut away most of the feather 'stalk' and dipped it in a very strong glue then insterted into the hole. All feathers facing the same way ...

Now I look more Roman than Viking!!!!! (always my greatest fear!)

Have a look at this: img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/lord_mithras/DSCF4955.jpg
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
I see... Could work, even with a bigger crest. Your crest-plate is facing forward far more than your feathers (who go straight up), is that not weird-looking? And how about wind-drag (seriously?). Also, feather damage easily. Can you replace broken ones if they're glued fast?

You, a Viking? let me assure my dear Mithras, you never looked anything like a Viking in that outfit of yours, feathers or not!! :!:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Yes. I've noticed that the feathers at the front stick up a bit too much. They need to point to the front a bit more ... I'll have to work on that. Maybe an extra hole or two drilled at a steeper angle, and some more feathers.

I'll have lots of spares. I'll pull what I can out of the hole, dig out what I can, and probably resort to re-drilling the hole to remove any stuck glue/feather shaft. Then glue in a replacement feather.

Re: Vikings. When we climbe to the top of the mountain on our march last year, we were met by a group of hill-walkers who proclaimed: "the Vikings are here!"

"Get lost!!"

"Bloody Vikings"
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
Yeah, I noticed your plate was a bit to the back.
re-drilling, of course, that'll work.
Wind-drag?

Re Vikings - you won;t be able to cure that. Some are so ignorant they'll see a Viking even if you come dressed as Old Julius himself. Sod 'em.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chin Ties for Late Roman Intercisa Ridge Helmet Antoninus05 5 2,384 03-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  German website details for helms from Roman to Early Med Cheyenne 6 2,246 04-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Last Post: le Cavalier Invisible
  Late Roman Helms Anonymous 9 2,296 12-14-2004, 11:05 PM
Last Post: FAVENTIANVS