Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The new Alexander movie
...is off.<br>
I read an interview with the director, and it seems the recent negative publicity around Oliver Stone's recent movie has caused the people bihind the movie (the money-people, I assume) to shelve the project. No Di caprio as Alexander, then.<br>
Too bad, I would really liked to compare both movies.<br>
Something rather similar happened to another film about King Arthur (after Jerry Bruckheimer's version failed to convince), although two Robin Hood movies were produced simultaniously earlier. <p>Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert<br>
[url=http://www.fectio.org.uk/" target="top]fectienses seniores[/url]</p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hey ho. Still, we've got Mel Gibson's Boudica movie to look forward to... <p>Homo Homini Lupus Every Man is a Wolf to Another Man</p><i></i>
That was to be expected, IMO. Although it seems like Stone's Alexander movie is doing better outside of the U.S. and might even recover the production costs or make a small profit. But after the bashing it got in the U.S. and the box-office bomb it turned out to be in the U.S., it would have surprised me if they had followed up with the Baz Luhrmann version. <p></p><i></i>
Aka
Christoph
I saw the new Alexander movie two weeks ago, and I don't think he's bad. Historically he's quite good, espacially the arms and armour which is used during the campaign. The battle of Gaugamela is amazingly good.<br>
<br>
The movie has got a personql opinion of 8/10. <p></p><i></i>
Just as I predicted in my review of "Alexander" last year. Stone's fiasco hangs like a shadow over the whole genre.<br>
<br>
It's a pity too. The director could learn from Stone's mistakes and make a better film.<br>
<br>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Although it seems like Stone's Alexander movie is doing better outside of the U.S. <hr><br>
<br>
I wasn't surprised. "Troy" also did better in Europe.<br>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>and (it) might even recover the production costs or make a small profit.<hr><br>
<br>
I agree. But the damage has been done .<br>
<br>
Stone sure knows how to lose money. "Alexander" for him makes two flops in a row.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Jaime
Quote:</em></strong><hr>I agree. But the damage has been done.<hr><br>
<br>
<br>
I know, would have been nice to have a wave of ancient epics. Oh well. Sort of reminds me of he little Western movie renaissance in the 90s, started by Dances with Wolves. After a few flops (Wyatt Earp etc.) it was over. Fortunately, it also brought about a really good film like Eastwood's "Unforgiven". Maybe we'll still see an epic "Unforgiven"? Sure would be nice to once see a real masterpiece in this genre. <p></p><i></i>
Aka
Christoph
From SCREEN INTERNATIONAL;<br>
<br>
Dino De Laurentiis has announced that he is pressing ahead with plans to shoot his Alexander the Great project, which is set to star Leonardo DiCaprio and Nicole Kidman and will be directed by Baz Luhrmann.<br>
<br>
"We will shoot the film in one year's time, and it will be the Alexander that everyone has been waiting for," De Laurentiis told Italian daily Il Corriere della Sera, confirming the talent that was attached to the project when it was announced in 2003.<br>
<br>
De Laurentiis's film, which was originally due to shoot in Morocco last April, was put on hold when Oliver Stone's rival Alexander project got underway in 2004. "I don't want to hit out against Oliver Stone, who merits respect. But his picture was certainly flawed, and was missing the spine of a screenplay," the Italian producer told the Milan newspaper. <p>Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert<br>
[url=http://www.fectio.org.uk/" target="top]fectienses seniores[/url]</p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Let's hope this one has the accurate equipment of the Stone version and a better script with more battles <p></p><i></i>
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.
Valerius,<br>
<br>
When you started this thread you were the bringer of bad news. Now you're the opposite <p></p><i></i>
Jaime
<p>Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert<br>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hi all,<br>
<br>
Last I heard on the scene in Sydney was that there were three projects that Bazmark was considering for the next film. Alexander was last on that list because the 'money men' were nervous about fall out from Stone's film. I did not think that they included De Laurentis who is as fearless as it gets from what I have heard! In the papers here in November Baz stated he was still keen on the project. It would be filmed in Broken Hill at last report or in China depending on the numbers of trained soldiers the film could get from the Government. (Apparently the king of Morocco was willing to provide inordinate amounts of cavalry and infantry that Australia cannot /simply does not have. The request was for 500 trained horsemen and the rest could be done with cgi. I suggested to them that they could do it with a couple of syntagma of infantry (512 men) and a couple of wedges of cavalry (possibly only 64 riders)). I also sent them a copy of Aelian's Tactica to get the formations and commands from. Something Stone's Alexander didn't suggest to me was the close formation of the phalanx. it was always too loose IMO and far too vulnerable to missiles (fired from massive distances away in the film). None of the breaking up of the flight of missiles which made the phalanx virtually impenetrable.<br>
<br>
I think the recent success of Leonardo Di Caprio in The Aviator may have swayed opinions and may be seen as a chance for 'money men' to cash in even with another Alexander. I can only hope that the film does go ahead.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi <p>It is an unscrupulous intellect that does not pay Antiquity its due reverence - Erasmus of Rotterdam<br>
<br>
'Modern history, like a deaf man, answers questions no one asks' - Tolstoy War and Peace Ep. ii.1</p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Quote:</em></strong><hr>It would be filmed in Broken Hill at last report or in China depending on the numbers of trained soldiers the film could get from the Government.<hr><br>
<br>
<br>
China ?! "Mongoloid Macedonians, anyone ?"<br>
<br>
The thought conjures up memories of that bad John Wayne film where he played Genghes Khan in "The Conqueror".<br>
<br>
If they can't film in Morocco or Austrailia they should go to Eastern Europe. Relatively low cost, ample horse population, closer proximity to Macedonia and more ethnically acceptable pool of extras to select from.<br>
<br>
They sound really desperate for cash. DiCaprio and Kidman are going to swallow up at least half of the <em>already</em> small budget with their salaries. Maybe they should call off the project.<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Jaime
Quote:</em></strong><hr>"Mongoloid Macedonians, anyone ?" <hr><br>
That need not be the case. I assume they may be looking to shoot in China because of the Central Asian landscapes. I mean, Alexander did come close to what's now western China. And there live a lot of Turkish Chinese there, not at all mongoloid.. <p>Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert<br>
[url=http://www.fectio.org.uk/" target="top]fectienses seniores[/url]</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=vortigernstudies>Vortigern Studies</A> at: 3/1/05 8:52 am<br></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hi, Valerius.<br>
<br>
Eastern China, then ? Hmm...that's not exactly the most stable area of the world . But then again neither is Morocco.<br>
<br>
BTW, according to the article below, the budget for this new "Alexander" film is $38 million.<br>
<br>
IMO, I think Mel Gibson's proved you can pull off making a great film with only $20-25 million. Just don't expect the costumes to be anything near-accurate like in Stone's "Alexander". If that's the trade-off, I'd be all for it. I don't want a well-funded bomb a la Stone's "Alexander".<br>
<br>
www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=8463<br>
<br>
-Theo <p></p><i></i>
Jaime
Hi Theo,<br>
I've no idea what Stone's Alexander cost, but then I think it was all worth it! After all, the conversations are not the thing I remember from epic movies - the costumes are! <p>Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert<br>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans