Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evocati
On the HBO show Rome: they say that Marc Antony offered Veranus a position in the Evocati...Veranus in another episode says as a Prefect.

I looked up Evocati and it says they were legionnaires who had served there term of service but had rejoined, perhaps at the request of a general. They held higher status than common legionaires and were immune from many tasks.

My questions are: Did the Evocati fight as a unit, or were they distributed among the cohorts? From what the show states, about being a Prefect, I would lean towards a cohesive unit, however, would a Prefect be in charge of such a unit, in lieu of a senior centurion?

Any other information you can shed on the Evocati would be very helpful. Thanks.
Sean
They fight in separated units of Evocati (ref. Pharsalus in DBC of Caesar).
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi
Quote:They fight in separated units of Evocati (ref. Pharsalus in DBC of Caesar).
There were 2000 evocati ex beneficiariis present in the army of Pompey, but they were dispersed over the entire battle-line. They did not form a seperate unit, though as they were recognisable, they might have been grouped in small units.
But then again, did they fight seperately because they were evocati or because they were ex beneficiariis?

In imperial times evocati usually had special duties or skills, much like U.S. warrant officers.
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters
Thanks for the responses. One final question though, would there be a Prefect of the Evocati or some other command structure?
Sean
Quote: They did not form a seperate unit, though as they were recognisable, they might have been grouped in small units.
But then again, did they fight seperately because they were evocati or because they were ex beneficiariis?

In imperial times evocati usually had special duties or skills, much like U.S. warrant officers.

The second supposition, I think they formed separated units aggregated to one or more legions and no single soldiers in legion's cohorts. Crastinus episode is intessant from this point. Crastinus was a ex primipilus of X legio (Cesar use "duxerat") , now Crastinus is not reintegrated how primipilus , but command a new unit in the battle array of X and not his old century or manipule. Crastinus when speak with his manipulares use "fuistis" , from this on can understand he speak to others evocati ex legionaries and ex fellow soldiers of X and not to a new manipule at his command.

I think who Crastinus , for his past condition of primipilus have the command of a unit of evocati of X legio.
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi
Thanks for the information friends .
To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding; "The greatest pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much, and power over nothing" - Herodotus

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evocati Prefect Cipher 2 34,195 02-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Cipher
  Evocati what are they? Caius Valens 2 3,168 02-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Last Post: L C Cinna
  evocati ii rogueclassicist 4 2,502 10-17-2005, 09:22 AM
Last Post: locksley