Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evo--Cratae
In the new HBO series on Rome a centurian goes to a temple and comes out changed a term was used [Evo--Cratae] . What is that term and what does it mean in English?? Ronald Spurlock
To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding; "The greatest pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much, and power over nothing" - Herodotus
Evocatus? Did he retire in the temple?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
He went to the temple and was wearing a different helm than the centurian normally had on. He had an officers helment on during the ceremony and there were older soldiers at the temple. He did not retire at this ceremony but words were spoken and he recieved some type of blessing that I did not understand the importance of. Ronald Spurlock
To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding; "The greatest pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much, and power over nothing" - Herodotus
I found it at Notre Dame collage dictionary.
Archives

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latin Dictionary and Grammar Aid

evocratae
evoco : to draw out, draw on, produce, recall to the colors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

evocratuse
evito : to shuun, avoid; also, to kill
evolo : to flee, escape, fly away, rush out.
evolutio : unrolling and reading of a scroll, reading of a book.
evolvo : evolvi : evolutum : to untangle, extricate, detach, disclose, explain.
evomo : to vomit forth.
evulgo : to publish.

evocratae

evocratus

a *us 1 masc sing nom
n *us : masc. acc. pl. 4
n *us : masc. nom. sing. 2
n *us : neut. acc. sing. 3
n *us : masc. nom. pl. 4
n *us : neut. nom. sing. 3
n *us : masc. nom. sing. 4
n *us : neut. gen. sing. 4
n *us : masc. gen. sing. 4
Locksley, see the thread titled "Evocati". I think that's the correct spelling and that's what happens to Vorenus, although I doubt he could really join because I believe you had to have served your full time (and didn't he basically call it quits in an earlier episode? Almost deserting, I'd say). But I guess with Anthony pushing him, everything would be possible.
Aka
Christoph
From the show, Vorenus explains that he is not a deserter as he served his time and once they crossed the Rubicon ceased to be a soldier and was a Roman citizen again. I have no idea if this is a valid reason or not however...
Sean
Thanks for the information friends I knew you -all would be the ones to ask. Ron