Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tricky Latin Interpretation?
Here's a latin technicality...<br>
<br>
In Bellum Gallicum 5.24, Caesar writes of "Unam legionem,<br>
quam proxime trans Padum conscripserat"<br>
<br>
'Trans Padum' is usually translated as 'across/ on the other side of the Padus' (Po River) - Transpadene Gaul was the area north of the Po, as opposed to Cispadene Gaul to the south. On first reading, Caesar seems to mean that the legion was conscripted north of the Po - however, he was writing either in or about Gaul, itself north of the Po... Several centuries later, Jordanes writes of "Gothi qui trans Padum in Liguria consistebant" - and Liguria is clearly south of the Po.<br>
<br>
So can there be any definite interpretation of where Caesar's legion was conscripted? <p></p><i></i>
Nathan Ross
Nathan,<br>
<br>
I don't really think there's any trick to the Latin itself. In English when one says something is "across the river," it means just that. What side is the writer or speaker on?<br>
<br>
The real trick is Caesar.<br>
<br>
In Caesar's case, he's writing to publicize his exploits for a Roman audience; he always describes locales and distances as if he were in Rome reading it, regardless of where he was at the time or where he actually composed it. He also uses the third person when referring to himself to intensify his persona as an objective reporter (which of course he was not). So the legions were conscripted in Transalpina, north of the Po, within his legal jurisidiction and suiting Caesar's political ends for the back home citizenry. While I am not one who ascribes to Caesar as military genius (and I know that's going to raise a whole new ruckus), I do consider him a political genius at manipulating the conditions in Rome to enhance his power. Every word of his commentaries always carries a political spin.<br>
<br>
Jordanes is generally thought to have worked in Constantinople, definitely way across the Po. From his perspective, Liguria (south) was across the river.<br>
<br>
Wade Heaton<br>
[email protected] <br>
[url=http://www.togaman.com" target="top]www.togaman.com[/url] <p></p><i></i>
Thanks Wade - it is as I suspected! This legion must have been raised in the Transpadane, north of the Po (not the Transalpine, as BG.2 mentions Pedius being sent to 'conduct the newly raised legions across the Alps')<br>
<br>
Perhaps you can answer this question as well - The Lex Pompeia of 89BC granted the Latin Right to the people of the Transpadane - did this right allow regular military service? <p></p><i></i>
Nathan Ross