Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archaeology
this is just a quick one and can be removed after its been answered.<br>
<br>
Im starting at Bournemouth in september doing a foundation degree in Practical Archaeology ( it was an HND, but the uni obviously felt that the course title could do with a few more bells and whistles) and apart from a very long running and deep interest in history and archaeology, i dont actualy have any practical experience, and considering the nature of this board, was wandering if anyone would know the sort of places to go to get experience. I live in britain, so anything continental or american would be impractical.<br>
<br>
Many thanks to one and all <p></p><i></i>
You could try the listings of:<br>
-the Council of British Archaeology<br>
www.britarch.ac.uk/briefing/field.html<br>
-the Archaeological Institute of America<br>
www.archaeological.org/we...page=10015 <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Aren't the Birley's always looking for folks to chuck mud up in Vindolanda? And I thought there were lots of British county archaeological societies that needed volunteers. <p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
<em>Aren't the Birley's always looking for folks to chuck mud up in Vindolanda?</em><br>
<br>
I gather they charge just £35 for however long you want to dig (covering insurance, tee shirt, tea/coffee) and you then have to find (and cover the cost of) your accommodation and keep.<br>
<br>
<em>And I thought there were lots of British county archaeological societies that needed volunteers.</em><br>
<br>
Some local societies are more active than others but they are definitely a good place to start, although (because of the resources required and time) excavation tends not to be the thing they do most often (usually concentrating on geophysical and topographical survey, fieldwalking, and documentary work), but not all archaeology is digging (and it can even be the most disappointing part of the process, trust me!). They can be a bit 'tweedy' but most of the ones I have come across actively encourage younger recruits, as well as catering for the more mature enthusiast, and a lot of the big guns in British archaeology these days started out with a local society. They are, to quote Sellars and Yeatman, A Good Thing.<br>
<br>
Even 'professional' units will sometimes take on volunteers (particularly if a community outreach element is required in a programme of work, and this tends to be the case in anything lottery funded) or may even pay a base rate for unexperienced yet willing cannon fodder. Just don't expect much in the way of tuition in the last case, because they will be up against time and budgetary constraints that won't allow them time to show you which end of a trowel to hold.<br>
<br>
All or any of these can be of value, just don't assume that any one of them is 'typical' of archaeology. There are many facets to the subject, and there are good and bad archaeologists (and good and bad archaeology) out there; the key thing is getting involved. For starters, contact your local group and see what they can do for you and you for them.<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
this site may help<br>
<br>
www.ukarchaeology.org.uk/ <p></p><i></i>