Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"THE ROMAN LEGIONS" by H.M.D. Parker
Hi Everyone!

Just got a 1928 copy of "THE ROMAN LEGIONS" by H.M.D. Parker. Is anyone familiar with this book? I know a lot of new information has come to light since this book was written and I want to make sure that I am not reading stuff that has been disproved. I guess what I am asking is, on the whole, is the book trust worthy?

Thanks to all!
Andy
Hi Andy,
Parker is on the whole trustworthy, but as you said, he's old by now. A nice introduction, but you should try to get your hands on new info too if you want to be up to date. But in most cases, that means articles (n academic journals) about individual or groups of legions.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Thanks Jasper.

Being somewhat new at this I am grateful for all advice. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Are there any articles you would suggest?

Semper Fi.

Andy
Well, if you are REALLY serious about getting up to date, get your hands on the 2 volume congressreport ed. by Yann Le Bohec, Les Legions sous le Haut-Empire. Has articles in English, French, German, Spanish and Italian on all legion histories.
This all very much depends on what information actually interests you.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,898 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  "Roman Legions" HMD Parker Anonymous 2 1,536 10-14-2002, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Anonymous