Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Painted wooden items
A question to those more conversant with original finds: How common was it for Roman wooden items (wax tablets, boxes, chests, stools etc.) to be painted? I know some of the items from the Cave of Letters were painted, and the leather items in many cases dyed, but is that representative? Do we have evidence either way?

I still believe the Roman Army was a good deal more colourful than we think, at least in peacetime, and this one started me wondering. Most reenactment displays have wooden items oiled, not painted, and for tools and weapons that makes sense, but what about the rest?

Also, if we have evidence for painting, i could contemplate cheating and using plywood or glued-together wood rather than shell out huge amounts for solid wood in odd sizes.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
I think this is simular to the discussion about antik statues, until recently everyone thought they where also in those days marble white... until reports started coming up that on almost all traces of colour can be found. I have seen a coloured version of that Augustus statue...it takes some geting used to!!
Now with wood I think is simular, but wood being more perishable than marble is going to be very hard to prove after such a long time in the ground
you can be lucky that the wood survives let alone any colours.
Hard proof is going to be hard to come by so you will always be a bit on thin ice.

Martin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dura-Europos painted wooden shield undergoes new analysis Gunthamund Hasding 0 1,683 11-05-2015, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Gunthamund Hasding