Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trip to uk end of september
Ave!<br>
<br>
I am planning a trip to the UK from the states for the end of september , and was hoping to find out what some locals/frequent visitors recommendations are for visiting Roman sites there. We are planning on flying into London, spending 2 days there, then heading over to Bath for a day or two, then up to Evesham for a day to visit friends, then up to Keswick and Hadrian's wall and hiking for about 4 days...<br>
<br>
Any must see roman sites along this route? I read online that the city of Carlisle has a good Roman museum, is that true? Any other museums that I just can't live without seeing while I'm there? Remember, whereas my wife thinks it is nice that I have a 'roman hobby', she doesn't want to drive all over the UK just looking at 'rubble'.<br>
<br>
I can't wait! Any thoughts would be appreciated. The map that I have doesn't show where the Fort at Lunt is located...is it worth driving out to see? I've done a lot of research over its construction for a project we built several years ago, and I'd like to see it, but I have to choose my roman visits carefully, or else sleep on the couch for the whole trip!!<br>
<br>
Oh, and is there a 'pass' I should/can buy, that will get me into all of these sites for one price, so that I don't have to pay an entrance fee everyplace that we go?<br>
<br>
also, I'd welcome any tips from people who've made the trip across the big pond, as this is my first time out of the states. What to bring, what to expect (in september/oct in england), etc.<br>
<br>
<br>
Gratis! Uale!<br>
<br>
Britannicus <p></p><i></i>
The top of the list for me would be Vindolanda, make sure you get there if no where else! The site is fantastic, with the foundations of both fort walls, internal buildings and vicus all clearly visible, with some half decent reconstructions, and constant ongoing excavations. And the museum is out of this world, with the best collection of Roman organic finds you'll see anywhere in Britain... go there! <p></p><i></i>
<em>Oh, and is there a 'pass' I should/can buy, that will get me into all of these sites for one price, so that I don't have to pay an entrance fee everyplace that we go?</em><br>
<br>
It will only get you into English Heritage sites, but get an English Heritage Overseas Vistors Pass so that you can visit Chesters, Housesteads, and <strong>Corbridge</strong>:<br>
<br>
accessibility.english-her...e&WCE=6643<br>
<br>
Note: this will almost certainly redirect to the main EH homepage, so just do a search for 'overseas visitors' and it will take you to the right place. Typical EH to come up with non-functional hyperlinking!<br>
<br>
So far as Hadrian's Wall goes, there is a train service that runs from Carlisle to Newcastle with various stopping points (including Corbridge) and a rather good bus service that links most of the main sites.<br>
<br>
See the Hadrian's Wall website for more details about travel and accommodation:<br>
<br>
www.hadrians-wall.org/<br>
<br>
The Lunt is near the village of Baginton in Warwickshire:<br>
<br>
www.streetmap.co.uk/newma...wn/Village]&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf<br>
<br>
but I'm not sure what stage the renovation has got to - here are some contact details for you:<br>
<br>
www.bbc.co.uk/events/muse...732&rid=25<br>
<br>
Oh, and did I mention that you really need to go and see Corbridge? ;-)<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Excellent!<br>
<br>
That is exactly what we're looking for. I was definately planning on visiting vindolanda, but wasn't sure how 'convenient' it would be to get to the other forts along the wall...sounds like the train or bus option is the way to go, so that we don't have to drive everywhere....on the wrong side of the road! Is this a two-three day outing, or can it be done in one long day?<br>
<br>
Also, is it possible to hike 10 - 12 miles of the wall at a stretch without running into governmental/private property restrictions? My wife and I love to hike, and I understand the countryside around the wall is beautiful, and I think it would be great to hike from mile castle to mile castle if there is a section that stills shows such features-- and allows tourists.<br>
<br>
Thanks again!<br>
<br>
Britannicus<br>
<br>
edit note: Just looked at the map you provided Dr. Bishop, and Evesham appears to only be about 30 miles away from the fort at Lunt! Excellent! Now....how to convince my wife that visiting the fort is as important as visiting her friends...<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=gaiusaquiliusbritannicus>Gaius Aquilius Britannicus</A> at: 7/13/04 12:12 am<br></i>
"Also, is it possible to hike 10 - 12 miles of the wall at a stretch without running into governmental/private property restrictions?"<br>
<br>
Indeed it is, as of last year a national trail has been created that lets you walk the entire stretch, the Hadrians wall bus service is also excelllent, well, better than most public transport routes in England anyway! <p></p><i></i>
That's great news! Thanks guys for the info, we've already booked our accomodations for 4 days in Keswick. Hope that's enough time to get a good appreciation for the history of the area.<br>
<br>
Thanks again!<br>
<br>
Britannicus <p></p><i></i>