Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compound bow and superior archers= Roman defeat
Determined foot archers can destroy both infantry and cavalry if used properly. Remember the English longbow victories over the French knights..? Hoplite14 is correct, it's all about tactics...
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Thanks Jonny but I stiill belive that even with the english long bowmen it was first the good generals that made proper use of their bravery and ability.
I belive that their oponents were brave but too foolhardy for their own good and had wrong tactics. I belive that a good general can put even mediocre troops into good use and a lousy one can waste expensive elite formations.
Kind regards
Stefanos
Quote:Thanks Jonny but I stiill belive that even with the english long bowmen it was first the good generals that made proper use of their bravery and ability.
I belive that their oponents were brave but too foolhardy for their own good and had wrong tactics. I belive that a good general can put even mediocre troops into good use and a lousy one can waste expensive elite formations.
Kind regards
Stefanos
I agree, and I will go further to say that in war there are always many factors involved, so a deterministic theory on any one factor, being weapon technology, leadership or whatever is reductionist and in that sense plainly wrong.
AKA Inaki

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Victory and defeat Roman soldiers SAJID 7 673 09-17-2021, 02:46 PM
Last Post: SAJID
  Han Chinese defeat Roman legionaires 36 BC? Johnny Shumate 33 9,862 03-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Last Post: tlclark
  Adressing a superior rekirts 1 1,118 01-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Last Post: FlaviusCrispus