Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New books
Of interest may be the following, which drifted my way at ROMEC XV:

Jobst, W. Archäologie der Schlachtfelder - Militaria aus Zerstörungshorizonten. Akten der 14. Internationalen Roman Military Equipment Conference (ROMEC) Wien, 27.-31. August 2003, Carnuntum Jahrbuch 2005 (Wien 2005) ISBN 3-7001-3549-1

I must admit I though Sonja Jilek was the editor of this (she certainly wrote the introduction and ran the conference), but the book definitely says that Schriftleitung is down to W. Jobst.

Radman-Livaja, I. Militaria Sisciensia. nalazi rimske vojne opreme iz Siska u fundusu Arheoloskoga muzeja u Zagrebu, Musei Archaeologici Zagrabiensis Catalogi et Monographiae vol.1, (Zagreb 2005) ISBN 953-6789-15-9

The latter is a large format catalogue with colour photos, scale drawings, and parallel English and Croatian text describing 541 items of military equipment.

I will endeavour to encourage Oxbow to stock these, but it may take a while.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks, Mike!

As my Croatian is a little rusty (ie completely non-existent), could you tell me whether the latter book covers the Cetina finds (including a beautifully preserve pugio) http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/502829/ ?

Thanks

Britannicus
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:Radman-Livaja, I. Militaria Sisciensia. nalazi rimske vojne opreme iz Siska u fundusu Arheoloskoga muzeja u Zagrebu, Musei Archaeologici Zagrabiensis Catalogi et Monographiae vol.1, (Zagreb 2005) ISBN 953-6789-15-9
The latter is a large format catalogue with colour photos, scale drawings, and parallel English and Croatian text describing 541 items of military equipment.
Mike,
Can you tell me if any plumbatae are described in that book?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hi,
according to the program of the 14. ROMEC, Peter Connolly presented a study on "Roman military equipment of the late republic found on battlefields and siege sites". I'm very interested in this, but the contribution isn't included in the above mentioned publication (Archäologie der Schlachtfelder). Don't you know if Connolly has published (or is going to publish) it elswhere? Or don't you have any contact for mr. Connolly, so that I could ask him directly?
Thank you.
Greetings
Alexandr
do you want his mailing address or his telephone number?
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Hi,
the best solution would be his e-mail. But if this isn't possible, then probably his mailing address. I think that telephone number would be too big violation of his privacy and moreover I'm not sure if my spoken english is good enough...
Thanks
Alexandr
Quote:could you tell me whether the latter book covers the Cetina finds

No, only those from Siscia and its immediate environs; the river Cetina is some way to the south of Siscia, as I understand it.

Quote:Can you tell me if any plumbatae are described in that book?

There are five: one missing its head, one just the weight, and three more-or-less complete.

Quote:according to the program of the 14. ROMEC, Peter Connolly presented a study on "Roman military equipment of the late republic found on battlefields and siege sites". I'm very interested in this, but the contribution isn't included in the above mentioned publication (Archäologie der Schlachtfelder). Don't you know if Connolly has published (or is going to publish) it elswhere?

Peter sometimes doesn't publish papers he gives, for a variety of reasons, but mainly pressure of work.

Quote:the best solution would be his e-mail.

Peter doesn't use email; it would have to be the snailmail address.

Mike Bishop

The ROMEC XIV proceedings volme is already available online here:

[url:2kpbd78c]http://verlag.oeaw.ac.at/mcgi/shop/produkt2.cgi?ID=0016x6307313x31552x-200&T=1126307330&aref=2387[/url]

for 29 euros.

Mike Bishop