Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ROMEC 2005
still in Hungary having attended Romec.

A mixed bag of items. Some of which I found very interesting and others...................... not so interesting.

highlights for me were

Mike Bishop and David Sim talking about the Carlisle armour--
Carol van Driel-Murray on shoes
Guy Stiebels presentation on equipment from judea

these especially will mean some changes to the way we think about Roman military equipment

also interesting a hand held ballista from xanten
florian himmler did a good presentation on hob-nail wear and Ramshaw boots

and some new images for the database
couple of standard bearers
some cavalry
infantry
and cornu (x3)
from aquincum
Mark
Did you attend the session of the newly found/reconstructed Late Roman helemt (it was the logo of this ROMEC event)?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
yep-- there was some modern stuff as well Big Grin

a couple a papers about late Roman helmets, including one having been recently restored.
Mark
Do you have the Late Roman papers/images and would it be possible to send me any?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
ill be in touch when i get back-
Mark
Thanks!!! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Sounds like you had a good time! We'll have to ask all attendees to make reports! Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Did Van Driel Murray mention a forthcoming book?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
nope- cant recall Carol Van Driel Murray mentioning a book-- although one about Roman shoes would be good!!!
Mark
I found the ROMEC XV very positive. The Hungarians worked hard to organise it and make it virtually 'palatable'. Service was great and you should have seen the bufet at the Historical Museum.
If they wanted to show themselves as a civilised and hospitable people they were certainly successful !

Some of the presentations were really thrilling (especially Michael Bishop and David Sim), while some were more a good opportunity to give your mind a rest... :?
On the whole I learned quite something and met many nice people.

The day trip to Esztergom, Visegrad and the Szentendre Sziget was not bad, either. You could almost see some kind of Pavlov mass reaction when the guide announced a ROMAN...

[great attention for a second]

...CATHOLIC CHURCH.

[spreading disappointment]

The ruins of an old castle at Visegrad were not completely uninteresting (good view over the Danube), but the remnants of a late Roman fortress nearby attracted definitely more attention.
("look, a fan shaped tower !!!")

Next ROMEC (XVI) is scheduled for 2007 at Xanten, probably in connection with 'Brot und Spiele'.
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Quote:Next ROMEC (XVI) is scheduled for 2007 at Xanten, probably in connection with 'Brot und Spiele'.
Confusedhock: I'm goin' to be there!!!!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I don't know what was I thinking of when I voted for having our Roman yearly festival in September... around the date of ROMECs...! :x

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
If ROMEC is held in connection with a Brot und Spiele event, it won't be held in September but probably in June. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quite right!
I haven't had my coffee dosis yet! Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Sorry for necro-threading :oops: But I found the poster of the helmet mentioned above:

[Image: terv3__02.jpg]
I thought it wasn´t completed until now. :wink:
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.