Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermopylae
The chap with the pilos helmet is marked as a Plataean Hoplite. Is the shield emblem Thespian? And would you class his shield, which is distinctly oval, as Boeotian, or a dipylon?

I think, Arthes, that the Thespian, with his Corinthian down, looks a lot like me.

There seem to be two films in production; "300", based on someone's "Graphic Novel" and "Gates of Fire" based on a proper novel (Oops! Am I guilty of a little intellectual snobbery?). I heard some time ago, that the latter was due out in August this year. Personally, I wouldn't cast Willis or Clooney. I wonder what George Chakiris is doing these days? (and how old he is, now!) He had a much better title to the epithet "Gorgeous" than Clooney could dream of (I'm sure he only gets called it because it assonates with his first name) and looks a bit Greek to me.
Fyle Comerus,

Xristos Giannopoulos, the ilustrator is working for the greek publishing house "Periskopio". I wouldn't call them the greek Osprey, but the do a good job.

The warriors from Thermopylae and the marines are his work.
The Phokean, Leonidas and the armored Athinean marine were used in "Stratiotiky Istoria no16: The battle of Thermopylae" by the pre-mentioned publishing house.

Fyle Paul, the emblem in the shield (Biotian Thyreos?) is probably Thespian. Thespian were known to worshish the Night (dark?) aspect of Aphrodite and Eros. The color black and moon symbols were widely use in their heraldry.
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
Hi,all.

Paul,just for giggles I checked George Chakiris.
Born in 1934, probably a little old but who knows?(71yrs?)
Yes, the son of Greek immigrants. Smile
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Thanks, Andy!

From what some people have said about the Spartan army at Thermopylae, that might not be too old - especially if he's weathered as well as Jack Palance. Mind you, if Stefanos is right about Leonidas being about fifty, George will have to take a subordinate role... Actually, I think I can act the pants off George Clooney and hey, guess what? I'm 52...California, here I come! - I could pick up the Greek Warriors from New York and the Spartan Warband on my way...
Spyros I willl check the magazine to be sure.

Paul the Thespian holds a Beotian shiled.
The HOPLON reform started in Argos but we are not sure if minor Greek cities had fully converted by the Persian Wars. Also weapons were passing from father to son.
The half moon is 100% Thespian according to my research so far.
Blue is speculative but possible.
Hecate (dark side of Artemis was worshiped in Thespiae) and so dogs on the shields appeared because it was her symbol.
shield 21 in Luke Ueada Sarson web page black with 3 white moons is Thespian.
Heros (cupid) waas worshiped also in Thespiae so his synbols might appear on the shields too. When Thespians were allied with Athens did not paint the Beotian shield encasing arround their emblem. When allied with the Thebans the painted it.

Also if you join the movie crew can I play a heroicaly dying Phocian who tries to block Annopea before the baggers fell on the Thespians?
Okay, so the difference appears to be that the dipylon is longer in proportion to its width than the Boeotian, and likely to be leather stretched on a wooden frame, whereas the Boeotian would be constructed like an aspis, yes?

I'm disappointed in my adopted "ancestors" choice of escutcheons - I'm looking for something more dramatic.

You can command the Phokians, and set a proper example, as you suggest, by dying heroically!
Quote:Okay, so the difference appears to be that the dipylon is longer in proportion to its width than the Boeotian, and likely to be leather stretched on a wooden frame, whereas the Boeotian would be constructed like an aspis, yes?

I'm disappointed in my adopted "ancestors" choice of escutcheons - I'm looking for something more dramatic. !

It is a strong posibility that you are right on the Beotian shiled Paul.
Beotian "Spartoi" (indigenous) had red snake on white background. That includes the Thespians. You could write the name of the city on the shield too.
How about the 3 hellhounds of Helate? Black dogs with gloeing red eyes!!!
More elaborate family designs and emblems would be on the linothorax.
We are currently researching that with Giorgos.

Quote: You can command the Phokians, and set a proper example, as you suggest, by dying heroically!

Pausanias wrote about "Phokean Maddness". You see I have a reputation to live up to.
Kind regards
"Phokean madness" has a strangely familiar ring to the English ear :roll: - as in, "Are you out of your Phokean mind?!"
Well Paysanias said that any act of heroism born out of sheer desperation or fantical refusal to give up was called Phokiki Aponoia.
We carried the tradition through time.
When we couldn´t fight any more we retrated in the mountains waitng for proper time and the most recent was of in December 1944 when the Phokian comander of a gendamerie detachment while evaquated wounted and bleeding on a streacher threw of the covre blanket saying "I do not need it! they cannot kill us!!! We simply refuse to die!!! Take me back to my post!!!!"

Kind regards
That's the spirit!