Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Katrina
Everyone okay in the US? Hope Katrina left you alone!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Particularly remembering all the kind words after the London bombings from across the ocean, hope all are safe and well!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
A friend of mine from NOLA is in Africa. His wife and their dog, who stayed in the US, are safe in Pensacola now. But he doesn't know what happened to his house. He is a bit distressed right now.
Another friend is still unaccounted for.
The governor of Louisiana ordered two hours ago a general evacuation. She said the situation was worsening and there was no choice but to abandon the whole city. It looks like they're still unable to plug the gaps in the levees and lake Pontchartrain is still emptying into "the bowl".
This sucks.
Pascal Sabas
Terrible and sad news!! Cry

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
First the news 'threatened' with an immense diasaster, then as the storm touched they land they 'almost disappointed' reported it decreasing from a 5 to a 1 category.
But now it seems that the damage and the loss of life and income is possibly even larger and more widespread than previously imagined..
Cities evacuated, the wider area flattened, and the storm still going inland, causing devastation.
My prayers are with you all.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thousands feared dead in New Orleans..
[url:1wlwkabu]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050831/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_katrina_41;_ylt=AgJ5N_wLyvT3nPtdy_c7GTEbLisB;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl[/url]
Pascal Sabas
The New York Times compared to equivalent disasters in history, like the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, and further back:

Quote:...and looking at the city, now at least 80 percent under water, it was hard not to think of last year's tsunami, or even ancient Pompeii.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Terry Nix dealer was located in Down Town New Orleans,
so his dealer is down temporaly,
and the web is out! Confusedhock: ....
So poor Terry I dont know if to write him and say I'm Sorry...
Much of his tuff is not accurate,
But he!... After all He is of one of US!... A Roman.

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Greetings,
this is a very sad, distressing and awful time.
On another (non re enactment) forum I belong to, there are some who have lived or have relatives and friends down there and know of, at least, one missing.
To add to all the misery and pain this has caused, there is that totally uncalled for and unbelievable rioting and looting. They were even shooting at the hospitals and patients were having to be removed by armed guards :evil: .
I don't think New Orleans will ever be the same and the memories of how their fellow countrymen acted will create a lot of dislike and resentment amongst those who lost so much.
My thoughts and love are with those who have suffered and are still suffering.
Regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:Terry Nix dealer was located in Down Town New Orleans,
Don't worry Comerus, Terry is based in Texas. His internet server was based in New Orleans, though.

My heart goes out to those caught in the disaster. Who would have that could happen so unexpectedly?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Quote:Terry Nix dealer was located in Down Town New Orleans,
Don't worry Comerus, Terry is based in Texas. His internet server was based in New Orleans, though.
Oh! my bad :oops:

Code:

My heart goes out to those caught in the disaster. Who would have that could happen so unexpectedly?
Oh that is in part good news of Terry :wink: , but I'm like you feel very sad for those who sufer this disaster (sight)... Even though I'm not a perfect man. Some Moderators knows why Im saying it :wink:

Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
By JIM LITKE, Associated Press Writer
Fri Sep 2,11:04 PM ET

Image after image of unrelenting sorrow, layered one atop the other like a deck of haunting cards. A baby held aloft, inches above a sea of desperate faces, gasping for air. The dead left where they've fallen, in plain view, robbed of even the simple dignity of a shroud. Survivors waiting, then begging, then fighting, finally, over food and water.

Here.

While the images of natural disasters and man-made ones alike, from Sri Lanka or Baghdad, cause despair, the pictures from New Orleans inspire not just helplessness, but disbelief. The richest, most powerful nation in the world can build schools, hospitals and shelters halfway around the globe, but it can't provide the basic necessities for its own days after a disaster that everybody saw coming?

Here?

Usually, we shudder, change the channel or turn the page, awaiting better news. But there is something too compelling about these pictures. The distance between us and the people in them has been narrowed, rendered uncomfortably close, and not just for those who are family, friends or neighbors. We recognize them. We all see people like them.

Here.

Authorities can't make the waters that did that retreat. They can't begin to rebuild the levee or the homes and businesses made uninhabitable, at least not now. They will never be able to restore much of what was washed away in the flood.

But if a reporter can interview a man standing outside a looted drugstore, and record his reluctance at having to go inside and steal pads for incontinence, why couldn't someone get medical supplies to the people huddled at the Superdome or the convention center in time, or the buses promised to evacuate them?

There are more questions than answers, and will be for years to come. That's the nature of disaster, and its aftermath. They expose our fragility, overwhelm our best intentions, mock our attempts to impose the sense of calm and order that prevails when life proceeds according to some rough plan.

Yet, ultimately, that's what is most unsettling about the constant stream of images: The suffering goes on not just for hours, but for days after we should have and could have ended it. And for all the commissions, reports and bravado that passes for preparedness, we didn't. It was a hand we never expected to be dealt.

Here.

There will be time enough, too, to assess blame, for politicians to point fingers, find and fire those deemed accountable. And maybe even to figure out how a handful of Southeast Asian governments, whose economies, armies and emergency resources could all be folded comfortably several times inside those of the United States, responded to a tsunami much larger and fiercer than Hurricane Katrina with swiftness and efficiency, and we could not. And so the frustration builds, not so much over what happened, but what did not.

Here.

In the meantime, the disturbing images keep rolling in, interrupted now and then by more hopeful ones. The trucks, jeeps, buses and helicopters so scarce the past few days are out moving in force. Police and National Guardsmen are on the streets, rescue workers are getting in place. The babies in the latest pictures are contentedly emptying bottles, pallets filled with water and food are being unloaded by human chains. One administration official after another turns up on the screen to offer reassurances and soothing words.

But the damage has been done, and it's no longer limited to the lives lost and ruined, or the property destroyed. Those are things, sadly enough, that can be totaled up over time.

Much harder to measure is the cost of all those searing images burned into the national conscience, and what they've done to the sense of security that was our last refuge when disasters wreaked havoc, and then, unnecessary suffering, in distant lands â€â€Â
Pascal Sabas
Guys this is what Terry Nix had wrote me in his reply to me:

We are actually the lucky ones. If the storm would had been a couple hundred miles more to the west my house would be gone as I am only about 15 minutes from the ocean and the 30 foot storm surge would have destroyed everything. You get used to hurricanes here in the gulf as I have already been through several over the years. Most likely we wouldn't have left our house but after seeing the after effects of Katrina, I don't think I will ever look at them the same. There are already 250,000 refugees from Louisiana here in Texas.

Terry
DeleteReplyForwardSpamMove...

Hello everyone I am sadned to what is happening to this great city. My prayers go out to the people who have gone through a bad ordeal. As to my means I will be makeing a donation to the United Way Take care all Constaine Valens
He who desires peace ,let him prepare for war. He who wants victory, let him train soldiers diligently. No one dares challenge or harm one who he realises will win if he fights. Vegetius, Epitome 3, 1st Century Legionary Thomas Razem