Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coloured statues exhibition
Is coming to the Allard Pierson Museum, Amsterdam:

COLOUR !

IN GREEK AND ETRUSCAN ANTIQUITY
2 DECEMBER 2005 - 26 MARCH 2006

It is almost impossible for us to imagine that the white marble or limestone sculptures and the drab clay figurines of Antiquity were often painted in many bright colours. The ancient temples were also painted. So Antiquity was much more colourful than what we see of it today. Many colourful objects on loan from collections in the Netherlands and elsewhere will illustrate this fact in the exhibition COLOUR! The exhibition will include several large sculptures which are completely covered in striking colours. So this is what the sculptures looked like in Antiquity! In addition to these large-scale, monumental sculptures, many other objects will also be exhibited: Greek pottery, fine terracotta figurines, Etruscan urns and decorations from Etruscan temples - all painted in gaudy, conspicuous colours. The objects - large and small - will give the visitor a glimpse of the multi-colourful world of Classical Antiquity and illustrate the three themes of the exhibition: Temples, Gods and Graves.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
We want pics of it!!!!!! :o o o
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Mmmh I shall attend to a mini-conference about the Deurne find at Meijel, on 25th March... :?
Of course I'll arrive at Schiphol but I'll proceed directly to Meijel from there. How far is Meijel from A'dam? (How may hours of driving?)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
meijel is between eindhoven and Venlo, that is about a 160 km from Amsterdam (about 2 hours drive)
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Pfeeeww! Confusedhock:
I was afraid of that, Thanks Jeroen! Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
If you take a train to Utrecht, we can meet you there. I can drive you the rest of the way, allowing us a good chat on the way... 8)
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
That is an irresistible offer, Robert! Big Grin
I haven't done any fixed plans yet... Do you mean that we could go the same day of the Conference? I was thinking of arriving one day earlier...
I suppose that you'll have to work on Friday and all those nasty things! :?
Well, I must first end the paper (It is almost finished) and then choose and edit the pics for it (no time for new drawings Sad ) to earn my ticket for the Conference.
We must define our invasion plan yet! :wink:

Aitor

Rolf Steiner