Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New show bookings. How do you go about it?
Hello all

I am approaching a number of small museums to try and get a few newer, off season indoor shows and wondered what techinques you have used in the past.

I am sending a covering letter (not email), with a CD demonstrating some of what the group is able to do, as almost all museums have PCs in them now.

In the past I have relied upon work soley from our website rather than actively approaching places.

Have any of you had much experience actively advertising your societies with museums, or coprorate functions? What have you found to work?

All the best
Quote:Hello all

I am approaching a number of small museums to try and get a few newer, off season indoor shows and wondered what techinques you have used in the past.

I am sending a covering letter (not email), with a CD demonstrating some of what the group is able to do, as almost all museums have PCs in them now.

In the past I have relied upon work soley from our website rather than actively approaching places.

Have any of you had much experience actively advertising your societies with museums, or coprorate functions? What have you found to work?

All the best

While not doing the Roman time frame (we did WW2), what I find to work is a nice brief letter telling them what you have done, what you can do and what you can bring to the table as for you display or living history exhibit.

You will be surprised how fast word spreads amongst the musuems. Pick on within easy commute for your group. Send them a contact letter with the above information, and then follow up with a phone call. This is were you can get a bit more personal with the curator of the museum. FInd out what trips THEIR trigger. Then you will know what buttons to push to get them excited about inviting you and your group for a display. They will likely want to meet you, then meet your group. Invite them out to a training weekend for your organization. Allow them to see you and your group arent nuts or crack pots. Once you work with a museum, word gets around quickly as these guys network like no others.

Take it slow and easy and remember people dont understand what living historians or reenactors are all about. All they know is what they see on TV and we all know how TV LOVES the reenactor.

Your on the right track, just dont make the mistake most groups do and get too pushy and you will reap rewards!

Greg
Gregorius Rotunda Rufus
"Vetus Gero"
Legio X "Equestris"
Greg Lee