Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conquest of Germany
It is often assumed that during the reign of Augustus, the Romans tried to conquer Germania as far as the river Elbe. Is there an ancient source that actually says this?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I don't know much about this, but I think we can asume that they tried to do so by the Teutonenburg Forest-disaster. Or am I completely wrong?
How's Res Gestae Divi Augusti 26: "The provinces of the Gauls, the Spains, and Germany, bounded by the ocean from Gades to the mouth of the Elbe [Albis], I reduced to a state of peace."?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
That's close, but it does not mean that the Elbe was to be a frontier...
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
It does mean that Augustus claimed the entire area as his own/Roman (and therefore the edges are frontiers?).
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Hi all,

I think there is something in Pliny the Elder's Natural History. I wrote an article once on the possibility of Roman auxiliaries influencing the origin of the futhark and made te same statement. I should have put it in that - I'll take a look! There is also C M Wells The German Policy of Augustus: An Examination of the Archaeological Evidence (1972) which should have something.

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Nero Claudius Drusus "conquered" Germany all the way to the Elbe.
But it didn't last very long and the dream of a Roman Germany was smashed at the Teutoburg.
Here's a good link. [url:1xe2yv6m]http://63.1911encyclopedia.org/D/DR/DRUSUS_NERO_CLAUDIUS.htm[/url]
Pascal Sabas