Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latin Translation
Avete omnes,

Since my Latin is pretty limited, I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me translate the term 'Roman Workshop' into Latin- the best I can come up with is 'FABRICA ROMANUS' but I really don't know if this is grammatically correct. Any help would be much appreciated.

Valete

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I think 'fabrica' is feminine, so you'd get 'FABRICA ROMANA'.

Fabrica usually gets associations of a military workshop. there is another word, but I can't recall it right now and my dictionary is packed away somewhere. Does anyone recall the Cicero quote about a liberal spirt not thriving in a workhop? What word did he use?
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
He uses officina:

Cicero, de officiis I.150

Iam de artificiis et quaestibus, qui liberales habendi, qui sordidi sint, haec fere accepimus. Primum improbantur ii quaestus, qui in odia hominum incurrunt, ut portitorum, ut feneratorum. Illiberales autem et sordidi quaestus mercennariorum omnium, quorum operae, non quorum artes emuntur; est enim in illis ipsa merces auctoramentum servitutis. Sordidi etiam putandi, qui mercantur a mercatoribus, quod statim vendant; nihil enim proficiant, nisi admodum mentiantur; nec vero est quicquam turpius vanitate. Opificesque omnes in sordida arte versantur; nec enim quicquam ingenuum habere potest officina. Minimeque artes eae probandae, quae ministrae sunt voluptatum: "Cetarii, lanii, coqui, fartores, piscatores," ut ait Terentius; adde huc, si placet, unguentarios, saltatores, totumque ludum talarium.

Now in regard to trades and other means of livelihood, which ones are to be considered becoming to a gentleman and which ones are vulgar, we have been taught, in general, as follows. First, those means of livelihood are rejected as undesirable which incur people's ill-will, as those of tax-gatherers and usurers. Unbecoming to a gentleman, too, and vulgar are the means of livelihood of all hired workmen whom we pay for mere manual labour, not for artistic skill; for in their case the very wage they receive is a pledge of their slavery. Vulgar we must consider those also who buy from wholesale merchants to retail immediately; for they would get no profits without a great deal of downright lying; and verily, there is no action that is meaner than misrepresentation. And all mechanics are engaged in vulgar trades; for no workshop can have anything liberal about it. Least respectable of all are those trades which cater for sensual pleasures: "Fishmongers, butchers, cooks, and poulterers, And fishermen," as Terence says. Add to these, if you please, the perfumers, dancers, and the whole corps de ballet.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
I think "fabricum is the word you're probably looking for, if you're talking about the usual "let's get together and work on our stuff meeting", in which case you'd be saying "let's get...on our Roman stuff, so that would be Fabricum Romanum, or more precisely, Fabricum Romanorum, which would be OF Roman things. But if you're talking about the place, then go with the above, which should carry the connotation of being a shop where you could probably buy things.

Fabrica is more like artsy crafts. But they all have the same root verb.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Very interesting guys, thanks. I do mean workshop in the military context and also in that some artistic skill should be inferred (therefore according to Cicero's thinking, Officina is out. And I do also mean 'workshop where roman things are made' so your suggestions, David, seem perfect- thanks!

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English to Latin translation please Steven M. Peffley 3 1,771 06-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Thomas V.
  Latin Translation Needed AuxArcher 12 3,757 01-13-2008, 01:08 AM
Last Post: Matt Lukes