Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE WAIT IS OVER!! Rome Total Realism 6.0 Released!
Finally, the new RTR version is here! After missing the announced release date last month due to some last minute bugs, the RTR mod team released Version 6.0 of the mod yesterday.

I'm downloading it as I type, so I'll follow this up with a review later, but the feedback from those who have played it is very positive.

More later ...
I will await eagerly your review since downloading those 290 Mgs with modem is quite a time investment :lol:
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
I have DSL and it was a 90 minute download. Well I've played it for about 3 hours (custom battles) and I like the new skins. But they seem to have scaled back the timeline a bit in terms of armor. The Romans now only go as far as the Marian reforms - no segmented armor, gallic helmets, rectangular scuta, etc.. (Why did they do that :? ?: )

In spite of this, there's a greater variety of troops to select from (various Italian tribal troops, greek "irregular" troops, "asiatic" cavalry, Galatian troops, plus much more)

I haven't played any campaigns so I can't comment on that aspect of the game yet. (Well, I did briefly start a Roman campaign and there seem to be more cities than in the original game.)

So far, the changes seem to be very superficial. I'm really waiting for the "Fall of Rome" mod Big Grin
Jaime
There was a hell of a lot of debate about the removal of the 'Imperial' style Roman troops. The RTR mod team argued that segmentata didn't appear until just after the mod's cut off date, but they were going on the idea that it didn't appear until the 30s AD. Others (eg me) pointed out to them that we now know that segmentata actually appeared earlier, but it seems they decided to leave it out anyway.

I'm playing a campaign as the Greeks and I'm finding the changes pretty good. It's slightly harder than 'Vanilla RTW', but the new 'Zones of Recruitment' etc seem to work well. The build times on some types of unit and buildings are longer, but I find this enhances things. The Gauls are much more powerful faction in this version - they even start the game with a province in Galatia. At the moment I'm finishing off the Macedonians, keeping the Ptolemies at bay and fighting a nasty naval war with the Carthaginians. I was allied with the Romans, but they just decided to stab me in the back, so a fleet with a large army is on its way across the Ionian Sea to spread fire and death in southern Italy.

Overall, very good. The new skins are nice and the custom battles are good fun. They stil have those stupid 'Berserkers' with their weird ice-pick weapons, but I think I've convinced the RTR team to take them out next time. They added the Germanic clubmen I suggested though, so I can't complain too much.

This will keep me happy until the 'Europa Babarorum' mod finally gets released.
Quote:The Romans now only go as far as the Marian reforms - no segmented armor, gallic helmets, rectangular scuta, etc.. (Why did they do that :? ?: )

I downloaded - but havn't played yet. Do the Marian reforms take place in a more reasonably historical timeframe - 100BCE or so?

Barkhorn.
I played a bunch this weekend. :lol:

So far I must say that I really do like it. The Areas of Recruitment (AOR's) mean that you can't conquer and start recruiting right away - this slows the pace of conquest down to something a bit more realistic.

So far I'm up to 251BC (starts from 280BC) and I have taken all of the southern Italian penninsula provinces as well as the two northern rebel ones and Corsica - and I have a fleet/army bound for Sardinia. After that I will take the Sicilian provinces and then deal w/ Carthagian Africa and the barbarians to my north.

My economy/infrastructure is in great shape as I am a firm believer in building forums/farms/ports before I get to building barracks/blacksmiths/stable, etc. What this means is that you start w/ few troops and little money, but you build over time to a point where the $$ starts rolling in and troops are not a problem from there on out.

I do miss the Senate as - artificial do nothings tho' they were - they did provide goals and award offices. And, at a certain point, they would ask for your head, and trigger a Civil War. Oh well.

All in all I recommend it as it does play much better than vanilla R:TW.

Barkhorn.
Well, my game crashed while playing the Roman campaign. When I got to 214 BC my game froze in mid-turn. I can't even continue where I left off. When I hit "Continue Campaign" the loading bar fills up then the music starts playing, but the map screen never appears.

Still some bugs to work out apparently Sad
Jaime
While lurking at the RTR site I found the following:

- Known bugs:
* 50 province crash for Rome = that's right - if you are on the verge of winning as Rome the game will crash - it has something to do w/ the elimination of the Senate.
* City Population Limit = no city can go above 24k in population
* Mine Income = fixed at 300 denari no matter the upgrade level
- Patch to fix these bugs and others rumored to be out by the end of next week - and yes you WILL have to start your campaign(s) over.

Future plans = a Latin voice pack (no more teen boy shouting, "The day is Oouurs!"! ), more refinments and implementation of a phalanx fix that will allow both you and the AI to use phalanx units in one continous line - I really hope that one works as the phalanx implementation is a disgrace.

Barkhorn.
First, I have to say I just bought the game ina bargain, so I never played the original game, I started directly with RTR.
I am playing Macedonians, top dificulty level, with the AI managing everything in the cities, so I only care about fighting and, ocasionally, recruiting some units, like fleets. The game is fun, but the AI is very weak, in 254 I have conquered all Greece and the best part of Thrace and Illiria, so I guess I will get total victory way before 200. I like thast I can only recruit local units, nothing like Swiss halberdiers in egypt as in Medieval. I wish the units manouver more slowly, battlelines are very difficult to maintain and anyway they don´t pay much.
AKA Inaki
I had a crack at using the Battle Editor with RTR 6.0 last night. I created a fictional encounter between a large Italian allied army and a horde of Gauls with some Germanic mercenary cavalry fought in the Po Valley. All in all it worked pretty well and it was good to be able to use the RTR 6.0 units rather than the Vanilla RTW ones.

I'm still finding the 'landscaping' tools a bit cumbersome though, so I'll need to get some more practice before I release my 'Kalkriese/Teutoburgerwald' battle. Anyone got any suggestions for some other historical battle that they'd like to see? Preferably not something too vast.

Ideas?
I've been toying further with the Battle Editor and have created a reconstruction of the Battle of Idistaviso - between Germanicus and Arminius in 16 AD.

I've tried it twice and the Germanics have won both times, so I think I need to tweak the army balance a little. My grasp of the terrain editor is also still a little shaky, so the hills the Germanics stand on are rather steeper and more rugged than I intended. Those points aside, I think it has the potential to be a good scenario, with a little fine tuning.

When I'm satisfied with it I'll post some screenshots and a link to allow you to download it to your RTW 'Historical Battles' file. Germanicus has a reasonable number of legionaries, with plenty of Gallic and Germanic allied warbands and horse, along with slingers and Syrian archers. Arminius has a mix of frameamen, warband, clubmen, some Gallic slingers and two strong units of Germanic light cavalry.

RTR forces me to use Republican legions and Equites, which means the Roman units are a little anachronistic, but I must admit it's been fun to have Arminius kick Germanicus' butt the last two times I've played it.
I have been playing this multiplayer coop with my son and it's great. there's a special file you download and run at the beginining each time you want to play mulitiplayer. then you can run TRT6.0 just fine. But after each battle you have to repeat the process.

Los
Los

aka Carlos Lourenco
Quote:RTR forces me to use Republican legions and Equites, which means the Roman units are a little anachronistic, but I must admit it's been fun to have Arminius kick Germanicus' butt the last two times I've played it.
Some people including me reskinned and remodelled the post Marian units to make them look more suitable for a Varus-scenario:
http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/?mod=642
--- Marcus F. ---
BTW What happened to the RTR website?
AKA Inaki
Quote:BTW What happened to the RTR website?

There was a small falling out between one of the team's leading members and the rest of the team. So he quit, and took the old web domain with him.

The new address is:

[url:1n7y9ifh]http://www.rometotalrealism.org/[/url]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Players needed Rome Total War Warrior of Italia 7 3,188 11-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Stug50
  Rome 2 Total Realism 3 released JaM 2 5,867 12-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Timus
  Rome: Total War II rononmaximus 250 89,101 10-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Last Post: womble67