Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet and Sword
Hello!
I'm still purchaising equipment. Until now I have only the helemt and the sword. Can you tell me if they fit one with another? And what year are they, etc.

[Image: img_427531.jpg]
[Image: img_427532.jpg]
[Image: img_427534.jpg]
[Image: img_427536.jpg]
[Image: img_427538.jpg]
Strike first, ask later!
I will start on a positive note. The sword is 1st century AD in style, a Pompeii type gladius. It looks, from the views I can see, to be okay for re-enacting that period. The scabbard is based on one that used to be in the now broken up Guttmann collection I believe.

The helmet though sadly is another matter. There are simply too many things wrong with it, to use it for accurate re-enactment IMHO. I believe the maker has tried to recreate a 1st century helmet, but clearly they had not actually ever seen one. They just seem to have copied certain things from modern reconstructions they have seen, and then added a few flourishes of their own. I owned a similar piece about six years ago when I first started collecting.

If you are collecting just for fun, it is fine. It is a nice looking helmet. If though, you want to re-enact, I would sell it, and take further advice from this site, and the others linked to it before buying another one. My knowledge is mostly confined to the late 2nd and 3rd centuries so I will probably not be much use to you. If you want to re-enact and form your own group, 1st and early 2nd century is probably the easiest place to start. Plenty of fairly accurate equipment is available at reasonable prices.

Best wishes, and good luck in your venture,

Andrew
Thank you very much, I suspected the helmet is wrong.
Strike first, ask later!
Actually the galdius locket is copied from one found in Utrecht!

Vale

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.
Ooops! message entered in error.