Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
scutum production
Hi all,

Just a quick question: do you bent the plywood along with the grain of the wood or against it?

Best regards,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
It's plywood. It really doesn't matter. The grain already crosses.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
What kind of glue do you use? Wood-glue? PVA?
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
@carlton: I just tried to bend it, the pieces were sawn with the grain horizontal, and I couldn't bent it. I used the same kind of wood as my brother used to make one and it bent without any problems. I think his pieces were sawn with the grain vertical. Very strange stuff. Probably it's not normal plywood. I'll make a flat auxilia shield out of these pieces. Have to buy another for the scutum and this time make sure the grain is vertical.

@Mithras: just white woodglue, lots of it!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:@carlton: I just tried to bend it, the pieces were sawn with the grain horizontal, and I couldn't bent it. I used the same kind of wood as my brother used to make one and it bent without any problems. I think his pieces were sawn with the grain vertical. Very strange stuff. Probably it's not normal plywood. I'll make a flat auxilia shield out of these pieces. Have to buy another for the scutum and this time make sure the grain is vertical.

Could it be that the wood consists of a thick central plate with thin veneer glued on the top and bottom at cross-grain? That sometimes retails as 'plywood' but behaves very differently. In that case I would suggest to try bending it at right angles to the central plate's grain. Less danger of breaking that way.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Sounds like you cut it the wrong way Jef- for 3-layer 1/8" plywood, you want the outer grain running vertically, i.e. with the axis of the curve- it won't bend well the other way at all.

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Thanks Mat, I thought that would be the problem. Going to get me some new wood Tongue
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
No problem Jef- I learned this one after a momentary lapse in concentration that left me with a couple of really large drink coasters :lol:

Matt
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I know this is a really old post, but I can't help saying... does plywood even have grain? Am I thinking of particle board or what?
Nomen:Jared AKA "Nihon" AKA "Nihonius" AKA "Hey You"

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
Quote:I know this is a really old post, but I can't help saying... does plywood even have grain? Am I thinking of particle board or what?

If it does not have grain it aint plywood Sad You could be thinking particle board, MDF etc etc
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Door skins usually do...and it runs the length of the piece.

Legion: TBD
YUP... doorskins..luan plywood sheets,.. one 4'x8' can be cut into 1/3rds 32" x48" makes a very sturdy 3-ply core

Though I have seem some very well done shields made of aluminum, birch plywood, ABS or polycarbonate plastics, even saw pone made from a blue plastic 55 gallom drum (covered in cloth of course and very nicely painted) ..... some folks used to make them of cardboard, masonite and OSB.. but that was back in the day
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America