Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uniform Commands, terms and usage
Avete

There are several attempts across North America to gather Romans...

One attempt involves the idea of a national legion, most are simpler abmitions related to gathering at an event or site.

The LAFE Arkansas event scheduled for Mar of 2006 is about as central a location as could eb expected and Leg IX have pledged to show in numbers... if all 50+ of us from the USA could go.. well a fella can hope can't he?....

It seems that the time has come for us in North America to attempt to establish a uniform set of commands and their usage. can't have half of us stepping off on their left foot while the others step off on their right...!

Please, write me at [email protected] if you as a leader of your legio want to get involved. A non-public Yahoo group has been set up for discussion.
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Heya...

Sometime back it was suggested, here, that all us Roman folk work together to establish a uniform set of commands.. it was generaly agreed upon that such an undertaking wa simpossible.... we'll were trying in the USA.. might be easier there since most clubs are small

I may be in somesort of Roman dark age but I just learned about a set of commands that were developed for Junklemann and that these commands are being used by "the premier Roman groups of continental Europe."

Which EU clubs uses Junklemann's commands?

Which use comands more like those used by the ESG?

Fess up!
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Ave Centurio,
I think it's realistic to think that even if the "drill manual" of the Roman legions listed all commands, (which, if there was one for the early period, it did), the actual words that the optio or whomever shouted the commands didn't necessarily follow it. Just like today. Ut tehhhhn HUH! Doesn't really spell "Attention!". You know they did that, too.

So, Maurice, or whomever else we get fragments from doesn't matter so much, in my book, as that we all get together and speak the same words to mean the same things! What made Rome great was that the little tribal squabbles that proved to be the downfall of the entire Celtic nation, did not come into play beyond the walls of the Senate. They were unified.

I'm not advocating one legion, or fifty legions. But a Centurion sent from Brittania to Syria could issue the same command, and his men knew what that meant, no matter if they were from Dacia, Gaul, Samartia, Rome, or Hibernia. The commands were, and should be, outside of ego battles, outside of regional dialect, outside of opinion. Please carry on this work and make us all proud to be Roman reenactors, showing the outside world that we can agree on something simple like this.

Sorry if that offends any sensibilities, you may challenge me to a duel or something if it suits you. I'll come willingly. Oh, and I used red letters, only because white ones don't work so well. Not starting that one, either. Tongue
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.