Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suppose
Dear Leonidas,

Come without an aspis, if you have to, we have some spares.

You don't need to use bronze. Matthew Amt and I have both made aspides by cutting rings out of plywood and stacking them up in decreasing sizes.

Look at Matthew's Hoplite page for details. If you can get to a branch of Ikea, you may find some wooden bowls there made of strips of wood. These are great for the centre of your shield. Using one reduces the nuber of plywood rings you ned to make and smooth down, which greatly reduces the number of man-hours required in the construction.

Finally, as I have noted here previously, aspides made in India, to my design, should soon be available in Europe and you may be able to buy one of these.

Best wishes to you in your endeavours!
Hello Paulaallen,

I would love to meet some other Greek reenactors too, but the trip to England is on costs of my parents and although I would really like to do so, it 'll probably be within a year or 2 or something like that.

The ones they make in India, is that deepeeka? Because they don't seem to be quite accurate.

Kind regards,
Leonidas
File mou H Depeeka poulaei mono chondrikih!

Des tosite www.4hoplites.com . www.larp.com/hoplite kai des t alink tvn promitheutwn.

An gnorizeis kapoion pou plekei Kalathia mporeis na toy zhthseis mia pelth.
Lino yfasma kai mia modistra sou eksasfalizoun ena chitona!
Kai sandalia apo ta GREEK ARTS dystyxws!
Ego sth Athina skeftomai na vrw afta ta eidei sto Monastiraki.
Kapoio antistoixo meros 8a exete stnv omorfh 8essaloniki

Filika
Stefanos
I just asked Comerus to provide an English translation for us non-Greeks.
It's kind of a policy here on RAT, we all are interested in what you are saying (and on one occasion we had an all-Italian sqabble).. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Leonidas Lakedaimonios\\n[quote]Hello Paulaallen,

I would love to meet some other Greek reenactors too, but the trip to England is on costs of my parents and although I would really like to do so, it 'll probably be within a year or 2 or something like that.

I hope to negotiate a show for us, which would result in our being able to pay a fee to those attending. Also, I would try to get accommodation and food supplied cheaply, or for free. At the moment, this is just a dream. I will let you know, on this forum, how it progresses.

The ones they make in India, is that deepeeka? Because they don't seem to be quite accurate.

Zeus, no! Even their latest, improved versions are not what we want. I am working with Syndicate Armouries and have sent them a reconstruction to copy. Copies do not always come out exactly as planned, I know, so, when I have seen the results, I will let you know what they are like. I'm trying to find out how soon they might be available. They will obviously work harder to get them into production, if they know there's a market, so, if anyone is interested, either let me know, or send them an enquiry (best to do both) at www.syndicatearmoury.com .

For those of you who voted for gatherings in the United States and Holland, I clearly couldn't organise such a thing from England, but perhaps one of you could. Many of you also felt it would be better to aim for 2007, rather than 2006. I aim to use next year as a trial run and as a means of "raising awareness" for future events. I may even find that it is not possible to do this in just over twelve months, but, as I said, I will keep you posted.
Quote:I just asked Comerus to provide an English translation for us non-Greeks.
It's kind of a policy here on RAT, we all are interested in what you are saying (and on one occasion we had an all-Italian sqabble).. Big Grin

Sorry I meant no disrespect.
I was just directing Antigonos in URLs with hoplite information and
suggesting what equipment he can purchase or make from what is available here in Greece. I thought that using our mother tongue would encourage him!
I try to avoid squables in scientific - caltural forums.
The net is full of forums dedicated to sqabbling if this was my aim!!!!!

Kind regards
Stefanos
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:1q2uyeky Wrote:I just asked Comerus to provide an English translation for us non-Greeks.

Sorry I meant no disrespect.
I was just directing Antigonos in URLs with hoplite information and
suggesting what equipment he can purchase or make from what is available here in Greece. I thought that using our mother tongue would encourage him!
I try to avoid squables in scientific - caltural forums.
The net is full of forums dedicated to sqabbling if this was my aim!!!!!
Worse I posted on the "wrong" subject

Kind regards
Stefanos

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suppose they held a war and nobody came? Anonymous 19 5,808 10-24-2005, 05:59 PM
Last Post: Anonymous
  Suppose Anonymous 0 1,143 07-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Anonymous
  Suppose... Anonymous 1 1,490 07-04-2005, 03:02 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr