Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New finds in the Provincia
Seen on a recent TV show in France about Roman Gaul.<br>
It's not military archaeology so I put it in the OT section.<br>
Archaeologists recently discovered an hitherto unknown big structure in Aix-en-Provence, former Arausio, which could be either a theater or an amphitheater. They don't know yet since only a small part of the seating area has been dug out. The seating is the standard size: steps about 40 centimeters high and 80 centimeters wide, cleanly cut and nicely jointed.<br>
Researchers have also found tools on the nearby site where the stones for the building of the famous Pont du Gard were quarried. Surprisingly, this ancient quarry was only rediscovered in the late 1980's.<br>
The examples of pickaxes found there were extremely heavy, according to the archaeologists who had a hard time working with reconstructions half the weight.<br>
According to them it is proof that the ancients were definitely much stronger than we are nowadays.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>steps about 40 centimeters high and 80 centimeters wide, cleanly cut and nicely jointed.<hr><br>
<br>
I don't know if you feel so too, but I feel always touched when I read or see these things: the ancients' love for the "well done" (fine and made for the eternity) and their proudness for their realizations.<br>
I cannot guess if they ever imagined that 2000 years later some different people, in a so different world, were amazed and admired by their skills yet or if they made their great stuff everywhere conscious to get so much admiration so later. And how the Romans imagined the future of the world if they ever did...?<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
Titus <p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]