Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Third Century Ring-Buckle Belts
Ave everyone,
Does anyone happen to have any close up photos or diagrams which show the two studs which secured a third century ring buckle belt? I know that they were fungiform, but how exactly did they attach to a belt? Like a rivet? Can anyone help? Thanks so much!
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
I just tried drawing a picture, but it didn't work too well!

I've got a 3rdC ring belt, mine is the style without danglies ... like a normal belt, one end is permanetly attached to the ring buckle, the other is attached when worn. On the permanent side the leather narrows, goes behind the ring, through it, and back around to lay flush with the belt strap on the front. The fungiform 'rivet' has been snugly eased into two precut holes (actually I made an '+' shape in the belt leather with my knife, nice and tight) to join the end of the belt to the body of the belt.

To attach the stud to the other end is the same procedure.

The two narrowed ends of the belt need holes as well, to pop over the stud. On reconstructions and some carvings it looks like instead of a hole or '+' cut, these ends actually have a linear slot cut out of the middle for several centimetres that go almost to the ends of the belt. These central slots fit easily over the studs.

If you look closely at this picture you can see my belt (externally, anyway):

[Image: imp-5.jpg]
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Thank you for the photo, Paul, that helps out greatly! That is a very nice belt, and is exactly what I had in mind! Big Grin
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo Ring Buckle Cingulum from Lauriacum Aurelianus 1 1,112 06-26-2017, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  How are scabbards attached to belts ? (1st and 2nd century) Theodosius the Great 13 4,783 09-18-2004, 04:55 PM
Last Post: hansvl